The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

AdBlock: No show instead of grey blocks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by webswim
Ooops, sorry for the confusion.
I was adding to it too, so sorry about that.

In Privoxy, there's a pref to either hide ads, show a grey box, and a third option I forget. Perhaps someday we could have a choice on how to treat filtered content.

FWIW, I like the empty "frames" in OW. I like to know something has been blocked, and where and what size it was. Helps to spot "good" content that got blocked in error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webswim
Is it possible to configure AdBlock so that it doesn't show that ads have been blocked at all? ie: instead of grey boxes where the ads would have been, just totally ignore the ads and don't render space for them at all, just reflowing text as if there never had been an ad there in the first place?
Code-wise, it would be a post-rendering operation with display:none. Even better, a pre-rendering display:none, as display:none'd code is usually not rendered at all, hence making site load faster: no more web crawling because of tons of ads!

<plus_one>No need to say I also ask for such an enhancement</plus_one>

I absolutely agree - the option to "collapse" blocked content like Pithhelmet would be extremely welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie
Even better, a pre-rendering display:none, as display:none'd code is usually not rendered at all, hence making site load faster: no more web crawling because of tons of ads!
I should note that our ad-blocking doesn't fetch the resources that are blocked. Which is a big advantage over some other methods.

I would be willing to add a preference for collapsing blocked content to a future version. We might even be able to uncollapse it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I should note that our ad-blocking doesn't fetch the resources that are blocked. Which is a big advantage over some other methods.
I didn't knew it, this is great news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I would be willing to add a preference for collapsing blocked content to a future version. We might even be able to uncollapse it as well.
Individual uncollapsing seems incompatible with “no bloody artifact on my page”, as it would require at a minimum some kind of link for uncollapsing. On the other hand, generic uncollapsing is much easier: The “Loads images and other embedded media” button could be inspirational.

Well, it could be a generic "Uncollapse blocked content" item in the right-click-menu for the page - which should, of course, not load the content, but show the placeholder boxes.

And that would really be a terrific feature. :-) I prefer the boxes over collapsed content, but only because they make it possible to load stuff that was a false positive in my ad blocking list. If I could have clean sites AND the possibility to load blocked content afterwards ... WOW! :-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
Well, it could be a generic "Uncollapse blocked content" item in the right-click-menu for the page - which should, of course, not load the content, but show the placeholder boxes.

And that would really be a terrific feature. :-) I prefer the boxes over collapsed content, but only because they make it possible to load stuff that was a false positive in my ad blocking list. If I could have clean sites AND the possibility to load blocked content afterwards ... WOW! :-))
I second you on this :-) After, contextual menu or menu button, this is a matter of preference (and it would be trivial to have both, and we already have the menu icon in Preferences/Adblock).