The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Difficulty Splitting Tasks During Leveling Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently bought Omniplan to help me get ready with the multiple field projects that I will be working on this summer and I am loving it so far.

One thing I am getting stuck on though is in splitting my tasks during the leveling process. I have two tasks that are repeating throughout the summer (weekly). One of them (Task 1) needs to be done as soon as the data has been prepared (set the priority to 1) and the other (Task 2) can be done in the remaining time. However when I level the resources (both tasks are set to one person) Task 2 does not split the time around Task 1, but instead looks for gaps in time where the entire task might be able to be completed. This ends up leaving lots of gaps in that person's schedule and then I end up with a lot of Task 2 at the end of the summer.

I made sure that Task 2 is set to "Splitting" and I checked the time constraints for the tasks with nothing really interfering. I even tried a simple plan in a new document and the same thing occurred. What might I be doing wrong with the splitting?

Also, unrelated, could you please add a vote for me to incorporate repeating tasks functionality.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!

One thing that is useful to do with such issues is to use Help->Send Feedback to send in a scrambled version of your document (you can click on the link for the attachment in the message created if you want to verify that nothing sensitive is shown), along with a description of the problem. Be sure to use the WBS numbers or the scrambled task names to refer to the tasks :-)

Doing this eliminates any possibility that the problem isn't really something else, and if it turns up a bug, they can add a suitable test case to their future testing to prevent a regression.

Thanks for the tip whpalmer4. I am attaching the 'scrambled' version of the omniplan project that I have been working on.

The problem is occurring within 'Resource 2'. The tasks that are receiving the priority are: Tasks 16, 22, 28, 34, 40, 46, 52, 58, 65, etc (Green tasks). The tasks that should be getting split and filling in the remaining areas are: Tasks 277, 283, 289, 295, etc (Blue Tasks). I am sure that the same thing is happening throughout all these tasks so we could probably just focus in on Tasks: 22/28 & Task 277.

Please let me know if I should include anything else. (I am also sending the e-mail to the support ninjas through the 'Send Feedback' menu).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jarrod-12-02-13-1.oplx.zip (47.8 KB, 566 views)

Well after some feedback from the support ninjas I found the source of my problem (user error). It turns out that I was not checking the box within the leveling dialog that asks for the minimum time frame to split the tasks. Sorry for wasting your time with such a simple solution but I appreciate your quick feedback whpalmer4.

Ah, you hadn't wasted any of my time, I'd gotten no further than downloading the file! When I opened it, OmniPlan announced I had a new update to install, and by the time it finished with that, the window had already been buried. I've got the title of my autobiography picked out: "Too many windows" :-)