The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus flashcards improve your memory Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just thought I'd share this in case anyone finds it of value. I have a project named Flashcards and a context named Flashcards. Into them I add one line snippets of information I wish to commit to memory.

These might be keyboard shortcuts, factoids about clients and their industries, statistics, user tips for various apps, etc.

They are not reminders or ticklers of a things-to-get-done nature, which go somewhere else in my OF. Flashcards is merely a list of stuff I want to memorize. Within the Flashcards project, I use action groups to organize, so all of my OSX items to be memorized are under one action group, all of my Omnifocus keystroke tips are under another action group, and so on.

When first learning an item, I set its recurrence to every day or every two days. As I find I have learned an item, I reset its recurrence to a longer interval.

As it happens, I have a perspective which contains things I do the first thing in the morning (take pill, do my daily GTD review, run backups, look at my calendar for the day, post to my diet journal, etc.). That perspective also contains my flashcards context.

The result is that every morning I have a little memory drill as part of getting ready to face the dawn. I just look at each item and click it done. About a dozen items a day pop up. After a while it becomes satisfying to see an item and think "Yeah, I actually know that now." FWIW.

Last edited by Jody Severson; 2009-08-18 at 06:21 AM..

excellent idea, i just set those folders up.

Great idea, thanks!