The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Filter out projects w/future actions? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think I may be in the same boat as jasong. I'm trying to avoid seeing any reference to Projects with a future start date, in Planning mode, using "Show Actions with Status: Available", but I have three Projects set this way (with no start or due dates on their Actions) -- Start Date of 3 days from now (no Due Date), and the 3 Project titles are showing anyhow.

Grouped by Start
Sorting (makes no difference)

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
I think I may be in the same boat as jasong. I'm trying to avoid seeing any reference to Projects with a future start date, in Planning mode, using "Show Actions with Status: Available", but I have three Projects set this way (with no start or due dates on their Actions) -- Start Date of 3 days from now (no Due Date), and the 3 Project titles are showing anyhow.

Grouped by Start

Bob
But what are you using as the project selector over the sidebar? If you choose Active, projects which have a future start date will not appear in your view. If you've chosen All, or Remaining, then you will see those future projects.

The "Show Actions with Status: Available" selector only acts on actions, not on projects, so if the project in question would be in your view, but none of its actions are currently available, you'll still see the project header.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2008-08-15 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: expand

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
But what are you using as the project selector over the sidebar? If you choose Active, projects which have a future start date will not appear in your view. If you've chosen All, or Remaining, then you will see those future projects.
I have "Active" chosen as the project selector.

Quote:
The "Show Actions with Status: Available" selector only acts on actions, not on projects, so if the project in question would be in your view, but none of its actions are currently available, you'll still see the project header.
I think you correct on that, although it seems out of kilter with what you first wrote. I do, however, expect that if a Project has a start date in the future, with Active Projects set, and with available Actions only set, that all of the Project's Actions (especially if they have no current or past start or due dates) would virtually inherit that virtual start date, and that the Project heading would (or at least should) not be displayed.

Thanks for pointing out the behavior.

Bob

Quote:
I think you correct on that, although it seems out of kilter with what you first wrote. I do, however, expect that if a Project has a start date in the future, with Active Projects set, and with available Actions only set, that all of the Project's Actions (especially if they have no current or past start or due dates) would virtually inherit that virtual start date, and that the Project heading would (or at least should) not be displayed.
What was out of kilter? The "Show Actions: Available" filter in project mode only strips out actions, not projects. The project selector over the sidebar strips out projects and their contained actions.

If a project has a future start date, and you view Active Projects, no trace of the project should be seen, no matter what you set the Action selector to. With a future start date, it isn't an active project.

Think of the selectors as filters or operators being applied in order from left to right to the collection of stuff selected in the sidebar. If you are in project/planning mode, you'll have project headers as well as actions. I don't understand how you could possibly be seeing project headers for projects with start dates in the future if you've got Active set for the project selector, as they shouldn't even appear in the sidebar.

Quote:
What was out of kilter?
You wrote:

"If you choose Active, PROJECTS [my emphasis] which have a future start date will not appear in your view. [...] The project selector over the sidebar strips out PROJECTS [my emphasis] and their contained actions."

You said "Projects" will not appear in your view, but they are (in the main/right pane).

I now understand that you meant Projects in the left sidebar won't show up. Since you said that would strip out (not only) Projects, but also their contained Actions, I understood you at the time to mean the right pane (since Actions don't show up in the left pane). I thought that when I mentioned 'Grouped by Start' and 'Sorting (makes no difference)', that it was understood I was only referring to the right pane, which is the only pane affected by those choices.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2008-08-15 at 09:18 PM..

Quote:
You wrote:

"If you choose Active, PROJECTS [my emphasis] which have a future start date will not appear in your view. [...] The project selector over the sidebar strips out PROJECTS [my emphasis] and their contained actions."

You said "Projects" will not appear in your view, but they are (in the main/right pane).
When I said "Active", I was referring to the project selector which I had just mentioned in the preceding sentence. "If you choose Active for the project selector, projects which have a future start date will not appear in your view in the right-hand pane." is how I expected it to be understood. I guess I left some wiggle room, and it's a good thing I'm not a lawyer :-)
Quote:
I now understand that you meant Projects in the left sidebar won't show up. Since you said that would strip out (not only) Projects, but also their contained Actions, I understood you at the time to mean the right pane (since Actions don't show up in the left pane). I thought that when I mentioned 'Grouped by Start' and 'Sorting (makes no difference)', that it was understood I was only referring to the right pane, which is the only pane affected by those choices.
I didn't think you meant anything else. I confess I'm still confused; I don't see how you could have seen any project headers in your right-hand pane if the projects had start dates in the future and you had the project selector over the sidebar set to Active projects. But you said:

Quote:
I'm trying to avoid seeing any reference to Projects with a future start date, in Planning mode, using "Show Actions with Status: Available", but I have three Projects set this way (with no start or due dates on their Actions) -- Start Date of 3 days from now (no Due Date), and the 3 Project titles are showing anyhow.

Grouped by Start
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.
If that clarified anything, you're welcome :-)

Quote:

Grouped by Start
I just read through this thread from the beginning, and I'm confused too, since you clarified that the project selector is set to Active.

Given the back-and-forth that followed, I wonder if the situation wouldn't be clearer if you could post a screenshot with the View Bar, the relevant projects in the sidebar and in the main (right) outline pane, so that we could see what you're seeing. If you select the projects in question in the sidebar and Focus, you should be able to get a tight screenshot.