The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Entries that hold information only Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
thanks for replies everyone - not had time yet to explore in depth - and I see there's 2 schools of practice: do I integrate my infobase and actionbase ( and if so, what is the GTD way to do so); or do I separate them?

peter

J75 - thanks for that - I don't think Scrivener is for me, but Yojimbo looks very like Mori - which I already own so this is certainly worth exploring as an infobase-only solution. At the very least it'll save me transferring >1500 items from Mori to OF!

Depends on how this thread goes - though. I do feel that one application is better than 2, in principle.

In this case, OF will always be generating new info which will outlive the task in hand - and new tasks will often be related to completed ones, so the info becomes useful again...and of course, some projects are very long lasting.

OK - logically then I should put all my contacts in OF, too - but Address Book is better organised for that.

hmm....

peter

Last edited by peterlemer; 2008-10-08 at 05:26 AM..

for: gardener

> I do the info-only context and put the context on hold,
> but I don't check the items off. That way they show when
> I'm looking at Remaining, [...]

why do you want to see them in Remaining?

> I also usually keep them in a totally separate "info only" hierarchy

can you illustrate?

peter

Last edited by peterlemer; 2008-10-08 at 05:51 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
In this case, OF will always be generating new info which will outlive the task in hand
That's a good point, and essentially a matter of process. I consider the info I put in OF to be disposable. It has to first exist somewhere else before I copy it to OF for convenience.

(By the way, indeed, Scrivener is not for everybody : it's the perfect tool for writers, be it technical, fiction, journalists, academics, etc. But it would be useless to people looking for, say, a project management tool in another field !)

my $0.02 - anything that corresponds to one and only one action should be entered into OmniFocus as a note to that action. Anything that corresponds to only one action is (without fail so far for myself, at least) short enough that it fits fine in the notes field.

For broader reference material, I use Evernote, because it syncs between my iPhone/Mac/cloud and it allows me to capture information in one place and have it available anywhere. The only problem I have with it has so far only been theoratical - there is no way to organize things beyond tags.

This hasn't been a problem practically for me, but I can see where it would be with larger scale projects than I'm used to as a college student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refulgentis View Post
For broader reference material, I use Evernote, because it syncs between my iPhone/Mac/cloud and it allows me to capture information in one place and have it available anywhere. The only problem I have with it has so far only been theoratical - there is no way to organize things beyond tags.

This hasn't been a problem practically for me, but I can see where it would be with larger scale projects than I'm used to as a college student.
In Evernote, you can have different notebooks set up. So there's that amount of organization beyond tags. Not multiple levels, but...it's something. Every time you make a note, be it voice, text, picture, whatever...when you send it to the cloud you can choose which notebook it's in.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum and have a notebook in Evernote for each of the classes I teach, as well as a few other things. I tend to use Evernote as my inbox when I'm out and about more than OF. Then I move things over that need to be over when I'm reviewing.

Re:

> > I do the info-only context and put the context on hold,
> > but I don't check the items off. That way they show when
> > I'm looking at Remaining, [...]
>
> why do you want to see them in Remaining?

Well, I want to see them sometimes, and hide them sometimes, and the Remaining versus Available distinction happens to work best for me, among the available options. If I checked them off, then I'd have to search for them in all of the clutter of old checked-off items.

If Omnifocus supported an Action versus Info filter, I'd be even happier, but I think that's pretty thoroughly non-GTD.

> > I also usually keep them in a totally separate "info only" hierarchy
>
> can you illustrate?

Not with a picture, but a skeleton of my current Projects view would be:

Library

- Personal (Folder)

-- Above The Fold (Folder)
--- Shopping List (SA List)
--- Events (SA List)
--- Miscellaneous (SA List)
--- (A few other SA lists that I want extra handy.)

-- Below The Fold (Folder)
--- Active (Folder)
---- (Several active projects)
--- Idle (Folder)
---- (Assorted projects not being worked on in the near future.)

-- Just Information
--- TV/Movies to Watch (SA List)
--- To Read (SA List)
--- Percolating (SA List)
--- Perfume To Consider (SA List)
--- (Other info-only SA lists)

- Work (Folder)

-- Above The Fold (Folder)
--- Repeaters (Folder)
---- Daily Repeaters (SA List)
---- Weekly Repeaters (SA List)
---- Other Repeaters (SA List)
---- Nibble Repeaters (SA List)
--- Calendar (SA List)
--- Miscellaneous (SA List)

-- Below The Fold (Folder)
--- Active
---- (Several active projects)
--- Idle
---- (Several idle projects)
---- Completed Projects (Folder)
----- (Completed projects, until I delete them.)

-- Just Information (Folder)
--- To Learn (SA List)
--- To Read (SA List)
--- Percolating (SA List)
--- (Other info-only SA lists)

Gardener

gardener:

what does 'Fold' mean? :-)

peter

Usually it's a reference to newspapers. Because of the way they're folded, you can see what's 'above the fold' at a glance, even before you buy the paper, and this is where the biggest stories start. You can't see anything 'below the fold' until you unfold the paper, usually after you've bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
gardener:
what does 'Fold' mean? :-)
r
It is indeed a reference to newspapers. :) It doesn't actually make much sense, because "above the fold" should be the most important stories, which would be the active projects or maybe some big project for the day, whereas my "above the fold" is the little bread-and-butter boring stuff that I want to access frequently. But it makes sense to me.

Gardener