The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Proposal: how to simplify dictation input Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I heavy user of a dictaphone in OmniFocus. To make a note I have to: (1) open OmniFocus, (2) press Inbox icon in the bottom right corner, (3) press attachment bar, (4) scroll down to hide the keyboard to make visible dictaphone icon, (5) press dictaphone icon, (6) SPEAK...at last...after so many clicks...but it's not the end...(7) press done! (8) put down subject...usually I put q or w or whatever letter to speedup....(10) and press save!!. Oh my! It took so lots of presses and scrolling to make that one!

Can I propose to make that simple? Can you put a dictaphone icon close to the New Inbox icon? Pressing that icon would a simply start voice recording and when done you press "Done" and that puts a new audio note to the inbox for future review with any subject. That speeds the process up enormously and simplifies the life of dictaphone users :) If someone doesn't want the Dictaphone icon along with New Inbox item then it could be an option you set in Preference.

That's just a few lines of coding that would make thousands happier :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneB View Post
I heavy user of a dictaphone in OmniFocus. To make a note I have to: (1) open OmniFocus, (2) press Inbox icon in the bottom right corner, (3) press attachment bar, (4) scroll down to hide the keyboard to make visible dictaphone icon, (5) press dictaphone icon, (6) SPEAK...at last...after so many clicks...but it's not the end...(7) press done! (8) put down subject...usually I put q or w or whatever letter to speedup....(10) and press save!!. Oh my! It took so lots of presses and scrolling to make that one!

Can I propose to make that simple? Can you put a dictaphone icon close to the New Inbox icon? Pressing that icon would a simply start voice recording and when done you press "Done" and that puts a new audio note to the inbox for future review with any subject. That speeds the process up enormously and simplifies the life of dictaphone users :) If someone doesn't want the Dictaphone icon along with New Inbox item then it could be an option you set in Preference.

That's just a few lines of coding that would make thousands happier :)
Agreed. I personally don't use the feature myself (how do you use it? Does OmniFocus 2 (for iPhone) transcribe the stuff or do you just use it as a repository?) but I can definite see the problem in terms of workflow.

OmniGroup should (and has, to a certain extent) aimed for a frictionless workflow and they can implement this (kind of like the quick-entry button already existent) in the following way:

Hold the quick-entry button will cause the option for the dictaphone option to appear.

Sounds like a great option, fidic! I use dictation without transcribe. Just put in any thoughts when I'm on the run. At the moment it make sense to use 3d party dictation application, but I hope OmniGroup would fix that!

Does anybody know how to suggest them the feature?