The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

one fact: many projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You can tell OF to make a link in an action or project name, but it won't retain that styling, in my experience. Only the notes field will retain the styling.

thanks kaijin :-)

very relevant!

Quote:
I agree that clones could be helpful. An ongoing discussion can be found here. Use Help > Send Feedback… if you'd like to add a vote to this feature request.
will do so. nice to know my 'alias' is someone else's 'clone'.
just to clarify: is 'clone' here the equivalent to a mac 'alias' or a pc 'shortcut', or is it a perfect copy? I would rather vote for the former.

Quote:
To link to a task, select the task, go to Edit > Copy As Link, then paste.
  • If you paste in the notes field of a task, it will paste as a link. Clicking the link will open a new OF window with the linked task selected.
  • If you paste in the name field of a task, it will paste as plain text. Select the text and use the contextual menu to convert it to a link, if preferred.
  • It seems to be supported to varying to degrees in other applications. Pasting into TextEdit displays the same behavior as pasting in the name field of a task. MS Word 2004 doesn't seem to support links, but I haven't experimented with it too much.
thanks, will play with this.

peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
will do so. nice to know my 'alias' is someone else's 'clone'.
just to clarify: is 'clone' here the equivalent to a mac 'alias' or a pc 'shortcut', or is it a perfect copy? I would rather vote for the former.
In the referenced thread, I believe proponents are supporting an ability to clone a task, with the clone(s) reflecting any change made to one of their number. For example, if Task A of Project 1 was cloned and also placed in Projects 2 and 3, changing Task A in Project 1 would also make identical changes to the same task in Projects 2 and 3. Currently, you can duplicate a task, but the changes to one duplicate aren't reflected in its copies.

If you simply want to link to another task, see my previous comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
In the referenced thread, I believe proponents are supporting an ability to clone a task, with the clone(s) reflecting any change made to one of their number. For example, if Task A of Project 1 was cloned and also placed in Projects 2 and 3, changing Task A in Project 1 would also make identical changes to the same task in Projects 2 and 3. .
Yes, I get that. I wanted to know whether a clone was like an alias - where there is a single piece of data that appears in more than one place. In that scenario changes to one will change all.

I was wondering whether maybe a clone here actually means 2 pieces of data which are synched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
Yes, I get that. I wanted to know whether a clone was like an alias - where there is a single piece of data that appears in more than one place. In that scenario changes to one will change all.

I was wondering whether maybe a clone here actually means 2 pieces of data which are synched.
Other than storage space, what's the difference?

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Other than storage space, what's the difference?
none, AFAICT.

I think it's more efficient, that's all :-)

peter