The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Saving styles Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I cannot find this issue elsewhere in the forum, so sorry if anyone has answered this before...

I cannot get my (latest build) version of OF to save styles. After making changes, it prompts me to save Omnifocus... I say yes, the app quits, and I re-open it. Lo and behold, the original / old styles.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Have I simply got a corrupt plist file?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I have had this problem ever since the first Alpha I downloaded, 8 days ago. It's not the preference file. If you open up com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist in the Property List Editor (you need to have installed the Developer Tools), you'll see that there is no property there for styles. The save prompt makes it seem as if the styles will be saved in the data file, except that we know from other discussions that the data file is a database that is written whenever a change is made. I'm presuming that it's a feature that hasn't yet been fully implemented.

That's clearer - at least I'm not alone / doing something wrong.

We aren't saving any style information right now. At one point we were not going to allow any user defined styles because we wanted people to actually get things done and not just fiddle with the application, but we've changed our minds and you should be able to save your style settings sometime in the near future.

Michelle:

I understand the view that people should focus, but that's what I'm trying to do - the default font set is plain hard to read. Switch to Lucida Sans or Grande and compare... the x-height of the default font is too narrow, so you eyes begin to merge the letters.

I'm not telling Omni how to suck eggs (the app is superb, as is the rest of your output), but I work in graphic design every day: I suspect it's why most usability sites chooses Verdana as their default font for text.

Either way, thanks for making the decision to allow styles in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
...we've changed our minds and you should be able to save your style settings sometime in the near future.
Michelle: thanks for changing your minds! I understand the danger of fiddling with the application ("sharpening your tools") instead of working, but I'd like to be able to use a serif font and make a few other tweaks.

And some of us have eyes that aren't what they used to be :-(

I must be able to get rid of the gray text. In fact, you may want to re-think the medium gray on light gray symbols ... they are hard to see.

--Liz

I agree about gray on gray - it's too hard to see to mouseover.

And I appreciate the decision to allow style changes and saving. I'd like to be the one to make the decision about whether to spend time on that, rather than OmniGroup.

We made some changes to the text styles late last week that were intended to make things more readable. If folks could look over the new builds and provide specific feedback, I'll make sure it ends up in front of the appropriate eyeballs.

In this case, it would be very helpful if folks would send the feedback via the Help menu item in addition to posting it here. It's *possible* to move information from here to the database, but it's a lot harder to do so and preserve all the info about who's making the request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
In this case, it would be very helpful if folks would send the feedback via the Help menu item in addition to posting it here. It's *possible* to move information from here to the database, but it's a lot harder to do so and preserve all the info about who's making the request.
I'd love to do so but I have already customized my styles. (Hoefler Text because of its typographical numerals.) Is there an easy way to reset the database so that it uses the default styles?