The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using search effectively Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Still very much a newbie with OF but after giving it more time and space I am really finding it useful and a great tool. However, I can't work out what I guess must be a very simple thing?

If I am in a view like due or flagged but I want to find something NOT in these perspectives, is there a quick way of doing a full search? Each time I have had to quit my current perspective, go back to view all items and then do a search to find what I am looking for and then amend or whatever and go back to the due or flagged.

Is there an easier way? My apologies if this is so obvious that I missed it!

Thanks.

Mark

You can have multiple windows open and use one as your primary working window (due or flagged views, etc.) and the other search window set to view all items. You could also create a perspective for searching and set the perspective to always open in a new window. Then you can either switch to the search window or open the search perspective, do the search, and then switch back or close the window to get to the working view.

Thanks - this works fine, dont know how I missed this basic stuff :-) though it would be good to be able to pin it maybe so I could always have it available.

___

Mark

Place an icon in your toolbar for your "search" perspective. Mine has a custom picture of a magnifying glass. Click on it any time to do your "full search". Make sure you set the folder attributes etc. appropriately to show all items, any status etc.

I have a keyboard shortcut also. For all my perspectives I have placed the shortcut key after the name so I can remember it better by glancing at this in the toolbar . eg Due 5, Next 8, Seek \ (my search perspective),

See screenshots attached for it to make better sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbar example.png
Views:	544
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1333   Click image for larger version

Name:	perspectives example.png
Views:	566
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1334  

Yes this works well, thanks for the advice :-)

___

Mark

Been using OF for quite a while, and I had not really considered creating a dedicated search perspective - great idea!