The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why does DUE view not support Outlining? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can't figure out how to see my taskes by DUE date and also by selecting a context on the left... and seeing my taskes organized in my child/parent outlining.

Someone? Am I doing something wrong?

Side note: context view only shows actions, and a row with children isn't considered an action - it's an action group, used for organizational purposes.

The reasons why OmniFocus works this way stretch all the way back to the pre-release beta, nobody is particularly happy with it, and we'll likely change it in the future, but that's the way it is right now. :-)

Moving on to your actual question , context view presents all the actions that it shows as peers of each other (no action groups, in other words) but you can group and sort the list in a variety of ways.

If you select View -> Grouping -> Due from the menu bar while in Context view, do the results look similar to what you're after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The reasons why OmniFocus works this way stretch all the way back to the pre-release beta, nobody is particularly happy with it, and we'll likely change it in the future, but that's the way it is right now. :-)
I wouldn't say nobody is happy with it as I wouldn't want it to work any other way. Outlining is great for planning/project mode, but I prefer a flat list in working/context mode. If this is something that is changed in the future, I certainly hope it is a user-defined preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Side note: context view only shows actions, and a row with children isn't considered an action - it's an action group, used for organizational purposes.

I think this paragraph might lead to some confusion, so I thought I'd better elaborate!

What's likely to change in the future is that we're considering the option of letting groups show up in context mode, becoming available when their children complete. The reason we didn't do this originally is we couldn't decide where they would appear in context mode, since they often didn't have a context assigned and we didn't have a "No Context" group which would obey its filters. (But now that we do, it makes sense to have an option to show them there, solving a long-standing point of frustration for some of our customers.)

This change wouldn't make it possible to outline in the due list, however: the due list doesn't show present itself as an outline because it has to regroup items based on their due date. For example, consider these due actions:
  • Project A
    • Action A1 due today
    • Action A2 due next week
  • Project B
    • Action B1 due today

The due list that we want to (and do) present for this is:
  • Actions due today
    • Action A1 due today
    • Action B1 due today
  • Actions due next week
    • Action A2 due next week

If we wanted to include the full outline in this list, where would we put Project A, and what would it show as its children at that location?

Now, I do agree that it's very useful to be able to quickly see a due action within the context of its project: you can do that by simply double-clicking on the action to open a new window which is focused on that project in planning mode. (You can also switch back and forth between views in the same window using Option-Command-R, the keyboard shortcut for View->Show in [Other] Mode.)

Hope this helps!