The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A large percentage of websites just aren't compatible Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I really like OmniWeb because it's the fastest browser I've tested on the Mac. In addition, graphics render beautifully, etc. It's an elegant piece of coding, and Omni should be very proud of its handiwork. I'd love to continue using it but Omniweb (5.5 beta2 v602) simply doesn't work with a large swath of websites. I'm talking the full gamut--from commercial transaction, and corporate sites to blogs.

Please don't flame me for not posting the *exact* sites where I encountered these problems. I spent the day researching on financial websites, then tried to attach a .pdf while logged into my employer's web-based email system (which works fine with FF, IE, and Safari). I also tried to buy a book on Barnes and Noble's website to no avail. There were problems on other websites as well.

I'm willing to pay a premium for a browser that works as well as OmniWeb *should*, but I really need reliability, which OmniWeb, at this point, simply can't offer. Am I missing something? Is there some setting I should be using? (I tried to fool my employer's web-based mail site into thinking I was using several different browsers... nothing worked for the attachment.)

I'm really disappointed.

For the most part, it should work with the same sites Safari does. So if it's not, it does help if you use the Feedback option in OW and send in specific sites that don't work in OW, but do work in Safari.

Going a step further, you can download WebKit (see link in my sig) and test sites with that. If they don't work in WebKit then let the OG know that, but realize it means it's a WebKit bug. If they do work in WebKit, let the OG know that too, as then it's an OW bug.

There have been some known issues with uploading attachments, though those should be mostly (all?) fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
For the most part, it should work with the same sites Safari does. So if it's not, it does help if you use the Feedback option in OW and send in specific sites that don't work in OW, but do work in Safari.

Going a step further, you can download WebKit (see link in my sig) and test sites with that. If they don't work in WebKit then let the OG know that, but realize it means it's a WebKit bug. If they do work in WebKit, let the OG know that too, as then it's an OW bug.

There have been some known issues with uploading attachments, though those should be mostly (all?) fixed now.

Forrest, I appreciate your suggestions. But I'm just an average computer-user looking for something that works. Downloading WebKit and testing sites is something I just don't have the time for. I'll continue to use OW (where I can)--but unfortunately not as my primary browser.

That's reasonable. And I can understand your objection to posting financial sites.

If at some point you feel like you want the features in OW but would like to discover some possible workarounds (or isolate the bugs so they can be fixed), I'm sure there are many here who would like to help.

You can also contact Support with "Send Feedback..." in the Help menu, if you feel more comfortable sharing your sites there we may be able to work through the problems you're encountering.

I should point out that while we thought we had fixed the problem with uploading--our first attempt did not solve the problem so it is still a problem for many users in beta 2.

There is a workaround--create the directory <Home>/Library/Caches/OmniWeb.

This is actually an Apple bug and we have logged it with them--and in beta 3 we actually just create the directory for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I should point out that while we thought we had fixed the problem with uploading--our first attempt did not solve the problem so it is still a problem for many users in beta 2.

There is a workaround--create the directory <Home>/Library/Caches/OmniWeb.

This is actually an Apple bug and we have logged it with them--and in beta 3 we actually just create the directory for you.

I'm a recent "switcher", so forgive me if this sounds like stupid question. But could "creating a directory" be as simple as going to the Caches folder and creating a new folder called "OmniWeb"?

If so, what exactly does that folder do? Will I automatically be cleaned when I use a program like Onyx or TechTool to clean my caches?

(By the way, I discovered this morning that many of the problems I've been encountering on sites stem from OW's pop-up blocker being a little too diligent. I was happy to learn that, because as I said, I really love OW's speed and snappy looks.)

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iji_oh
I'm a recent "switcher", so forgive me if this sounds like stupid question. But could "creating a directory" be as simple as going to the Caches folder and creating a new folder called "OmniWeb"?
Yep, that's all it will take!

Quote:
If so, what exactly does that folder do? Will I automatically be cleaned when I use a program like Onyx or TechTool to clean my caches?
Len can probably answer this better but I believe certain system level components incorrectly look for this folder in some situations--even though we've already specified another custom location--if the folder isn't there bad things occur.

I doubt the folder will ever use much disk space but i presume you'll be able to clean it out with the apps you mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Yep, that's all it will take!

Len can probably answer this better but I believe certain system level components incorrectly look for this folder in some situations--even though we've already specified another custom location--if the folder isn't there bad things occur.

I doubt the folder will ever use much disk space but i presume you'll be able to clean it out with the apps you mention.

Phew! Problems solved. OW is back to being my default browser! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb

I'm not Len, although I play him on TV sometimes ;), but here's the deal.

The Cache system that WebKit uses copies files to that directory when you go to upload them, via a form input. Even though we've specified that we use a different cache folder (com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 folder instead of OmniWeb), it still tries to put the files we're about to upload in that OmniWeb folder. When the folder doesn't exist, the proverbial 'bad things' happen. ;) We've filed a bug with apple about the incorrect reporting of the proper cache location, and hopefully they will provide a fix. Until then we will continue to create the OmniWeb folder if it does not exist. It will remain empty until you attempt to upload a file, and should be cleaned by cache-cleaning apps.