The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confusing group/task "governance" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find the way OP handles "governance" of groups and tasks confusing. That is, there is an inconsistent relationship between what drives what.

Examples:
  1. If a group contains tasks that are entirely set as "earliest date", then moving the group will move all the tasks.
  2. If a group contains one or more tasks that are set to "specific date" then moving the group will not move those tasks

The logic here is understandable enough. What gets confusing is that if the group bar is moved beyond the bounds of the "specific date" tasks, then it doesn't expand/shrink to fit the total width/duration of all the tasks it contains.

So in some cases the group is being governed by the total duration of its tasks, and in other cases not. I would prefer that it always reflect the total duration. That way the governance relationship is consistent - tasks always drive group.

(Hopefully this is clear. If not I'll go to the effort to post a screengrab.)

Is this common behavior for PM apps? It's been a while since I've used MSP, can't remember how it does this.

On this same topic, it would be great to have a way to visually distinguish tasks that are specific date vs earliest possible, as when moving stuff around you can't always predict how things will behave, and I've had situations where a task has moved unexpectedly and I didn't catch it until later. This visual distinction might not need to be in place all the time, it might be a highlighting type of thing, sort of like spotlight.

Adam

Thanks,

Adam