The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MobileMe or free WebDav? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys,

I do not have a Mac so I am not making a backup. It is very important that I have a backup so I chose to back it up via the web.

Now, free WebDav servers offer 2GB as a general rule. If you are willing to pay, you can go up to 75 euros for about 10GB.

MobileMe offers 20GB for $100/year. It also offers a mail client, online galleries that can be populated form the iPhone seamlessly,contacts and a calendar. In brief, things I could do without but they are nice perks, nevertheless.

My question is, which of the two methods do you think is more reliable? I must have a method where I know my data will be backed up without any worries.

For those of you who anwer this, could you please tell me why you think either one is best?

Thanks so much

I've been a .Mac/MobileMe user since day one and I've been more or less pleased with it over the years. However, at $100 a year it's not cheap even for a Mac user. However, I think MobileMe is overkill just to use with an iPhone. I'd explore the free webdav servers first before investing in MobileMe.

Hi Greg

thanks for the suggestion. I still have about 3 weeks of trial in MobileMe and will make up my mind next week.

I think that Apple's policy of charging for one year in advance scares customers away. On the other hand, with the many projects I handle, I wonder if 2 free GB will last long on a free server. I guess I could always find out how long it will actually take me to get to that point.

I like the Apple gallery. I don't care for the calendar or other features. I'll have to see. I may just purchase a new Mac and OF desktop.\\Cheers

If you just want to store stuff online, you can use DropBox or something (even S3). WebDav isn't really used by many applications these days, so you don't really need to worry about filling up the space (and OmniFocus doesn't take up much space at all, so I wouldn't worry about filling up 2GB with just OmniFocus).

If you do like the look of DropBox, feel free to share the love with me and my shameless referral link:
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTE5NjgwOQ

Does DropBox use WebDav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgallant View Post
Does DropBox use WebDav?
No, DropBox does not support WebDAV, and is not likely to in the forseeable future: https://www.getdropbox.com/help/62

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgallant View Post
Does DropBox use WebDav?
My point was in reference to:

Quote:
On the other hand, with the many projects I handle, I wonder if 2 free GB will last long on a free server. I guess I could always find out how long it will actually take me to get to that point.
which is vague, and potentially sounds like the OP is worried about more than just OF. Alternatively, I may have just read it too quickly.

So to summarise: yes you need WebDav, but I wouldn't worry about the low limit on the free options, as you'll likely not use all of it, and you can put random stuff in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intranation View Post
If you just want to store stuff online, you can use DropBox or something (even S3). WebDav isn't really used by many applications these days, so you don't really need to worry about filling up the space (and OmniFocus doesn't take up much space at all, so I wouldn't worry about filling up 2GB with just OmniFocus).

If you do like the look of DropBox, feel free to share the love with me and my shameless referral link:
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTE5NjgwOQ
Thanks for the tip but I think OF requires a WebDav server.