The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Today's To Do Perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked, but it's been bothering me for some time, and I need your help.

I have set two to do tasks to start today on three different projects. When I click my Today To Do Perspective, I see only the to do items for one of the projects.

Where am I going wrong with the settings?

My today's view is set as:
Groupings: Start
Sorting: Flagged
Availability Filter: Remaining
Status Filter: Any Status
Estimated Time Filter: Any Duration

All of my projects are set for parallel tasks and have the following specifications:
Project Filter: Remaining
Grouping: Ungrouped
Sorting: Unsorted
Availability Filter: Remaining
Status Filter: Any Status
Estimated Time Filter: Any Duration

Please help me see all of my tasks for the day in my today's perspective!
Thanks in advance!

I figured it out. After I assigned context for these tasks, they appeared on the to do list.

Must I always assign contexts???

Contexts got so big and scrambled for me I stopped using them.
Not using them has made things much easier for me.
I too have the same questions -- are Contexts a "must" and have to be used?
Thanks

There are nearly as many ways to use contexts as there are users. If you feel overwhelmed with contexts, you could use just a couple of them. I use just a few working contexts, computer, up, outside, school, and errands (with a bunch of sub contexts). But you could use fewer. I use them to give an extra layer of organization in my views. I use a today view which is my available flagged or due tasks, grouped by context (so I see a group of items I can do at my computer, a group I can do while "up", a group I can do outside, etc.)

The shorter answer is you don't have to use contexts. You should be able to see any item on your list assigned to a project or list. Maybe your view is hiding stuff with no start date (look for an arrow that you can click that expands your "start" groups.)

Contexts are like tags - you can make a hundred of them and they'll all be useless. Like tags, I just make enough contexts to make it work. Putting in too many contexts will just complicate your setup.

My today context is like chriskline's. It is set to show only available flagged or due tasks. Your due tasks will appear in this perspective. Any tasks/projects you flag will also show up here as well.

If you do a search in the forums for Today perspective, you'll find a lot of answers. Search is your friend.

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts.

I actually did more research these past few days on perspectives, and while I did not find them useful previously, now I created a couple of "Full Focus" etc. perspectives based on energy level recommendations, and I kind of like it, so whether I need to include them or not, now I do, esp. for the tasks that need to get done soon.

I wish that the time estimate worked better, but things can always be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrkline View Post
There are nearly as many ways to use contexts as there are users. If you feel overwhelmed with contexts, you could use just a couple of them.
I swing back and forth like a pendulum on this on: not enough, too many... So much helpful but conflicting advice exists about how to use contexts it's easy to get lost.

The one simple thing I try to remember about contexts is that they help you identify tasks that it makes sense to do together. Why that might be true (location, access to resources or people, energy levels etc.) is where "the one true answer" starts to get hazy :-)

Everybody has different ways to use contexts. That's why you'll see such a wide variety of uses for it. We all use it in different ways. Some folks may never find a use for contexts at all and use the project/planning mode without ever going into context mode. Then there are some folks that make heavy use of contexts for energy, resource, or location.