The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Huge Problem with iPhone App Icon (the ugly) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been waiting for this app forever. I got it. I need it. I'm glad to see you charging for it. Getting paid for your work is what keeps the quality high, and I'm glad to put 20 in the hat.

But this icon for the omnifocus app is godawful. Please do better, or at least give us the option to use the checkmark in a box (which makes sense) or the mac app icon or something that makes at least one lick of sense.

My aesthetic is minimalist. My sense about GTD is that there is a certain zen to it. My sense about a giant purple checkmark on five lines of index card is less that there is a zen that enables flow states, and more that it doesn't make any sense and is ugly. I want something with more zen, that makes sense. Please, guys.

I really love you guys and your apps but please give me a better iphone icon. This makes my eyes bleed, and it could be the most important app I use. I hope you have better icon or choices for different ones in the next update. This little white patch thing sucks on black glass, and is just not up to the high quality of your product.

Interesting. I agree with the Zen feel of GTD, but one of the big implementations of GTD is the hipster pda, yep, notecards. The checkmark is pretty self-explanatory. I like the feel and actually had quite an opposite reaction to the icon. Not to quarrel with your impression, it's yours and legitimate, of course; but just to mention that I have a different reaction to it.

I have to agree with ABITAR. The icon for OmniFocus for iPhone is really bad. It is ugly. It does not look anything like other iPhone app icons. I understand that the app I will (hopefully) use a great deal should be easily recognizable, and it is, but not in a good way.

Purple? Really? And a checkmark? Go to the iTunes App store and see how many "to do" and "productivity" apps use the checkmark as their logo. A LOT.

Please, please, fix this!

(Apologies to whomever designed the logo.)

I was hoping for a better icon, but I'm cool with what's there. just for the love of god, don't make it blue! Seriously! Blue icons on my first springboard window:
safari, mail, facebook, wikipedia (comoki), app store, videos, stocks, twittelator and weather.

As long as there's some distinctive purple going on I'd be happy with a flat square.

That's funny about the blue. Reminds me of the comment Merlin Mann made about iCal making him puke pink.

For the guys who have identified the HUGE icon problem...just my opinion, but that seems a bit like the proverbial worrying about deck chairs on the Titanic. First things first man. It's really a matter of taste, so vehemence isn't going to be too convincing.

The most persuasive thing that was said though was about the checkmark. Tough one. A checkmark is the quintessential To Do and even GTD symbol, but something that set OF apart a bit does seem like a good call to me...after the primary software issues get sorted out.

Last edited by MichaelG; 2008-07-15 at 09:22 PM..

I can barely see the icon with all my todos in front of it! :)

BZ

As small a problem as it is, I'd like to add my vote to not liking the icon. I don't mind the checkmark, but I would have preferred it without the lines and white background. It would have been nicer (to me) with a coloured background and white checkmark, a-la iPod, Phone, SMS, etc. icons. Love the app though. My $0.02

Personally guys, don't stop working on getting WebDAV working or fixing the frequent crashes just to get a 'cool' icon. Priorities please - I could care less what the icon is as long as the rest of it works.

J.

I really like the purple clip on the Mac app - could that be ported to the iphone version?