The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

One action, multiple contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The replies in this thread talk of different approaches to dealing with the fact that an action can only have one Context. Personally, I use the

Work
Phone
etc.

Home
Phone
etc.

I also try to think of THE MOST indispensable tool/person/place/situation/etc., and make that the context for the action.

Still, at the end of the day, it would be darn convenient to tag an action with both Boss (wife, etc.,) as well as Phone (email, face-to-face, etc.). This way, if I bump into the Boss, I can take my iPhone (or computer) and see all the actions that have something to do with her under the "Boss" Context. At the same time, if I am in a groove of writing emails, or have a half an hour drive during which I can make a phone call, it would be great to look at the "Phone" context and see all the phone calls I need to make. It is reasonable to assume that an action will relate to Boss and involve a Phone call. Not having to make a choice for categorization, or coming up with unnecessarily convoluted Context trees would make life much, much easier.

Apparently multiple tagging was (still is?) the original intention for OF, and I sincerely hope it is implemented in some foreseeable future, as I think it will make the tool so much more powerful than it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post

Bottom line is that Things also has a Today view that is nice, while by default OmniFocus does not (a perspective can get similar functionality). Many people believe that Things has a more attractive UI, but as the OmniFocus UI has themes, many people prefer to customize the UI of OmniFocus. Many people believe that Things has an advantage due to its simplicity, while OmniFocus can be just about as simple or as in-depth as the user wants to make it. Things Touch does have the ability to email tasks while OmniFocus iPhone does not.

On the flip side, OmniFocus has parallel and sequential tasks, sub-projects, cloud syncing, project review functionality, custom perspectives, custom toolbar with built-in commands and scripts, scheduled tasks on the Mac and the iPhone with start times, due dates with due times, alarms through Growl/Prowl, and iCal, bookmarklet to add tasks from Safari, the iPhone has Locations Services customized to contexts, imbedded browser, photo support, voice note support, repeat task support, and a completely customizable interface through the use of synced perspectives and icons while Things Mac and Things Touch... do not.

In the end, it all comes down to what features are most important to the user. If tags are essential to your workflow, then I doubt any of the solutions that the OmniFocus users have will make a difference in your decision. However, if the areas where OmniFocus really excels are important, then there are other ways to get much, if not all, of the functionality of tagging.
I agree completely - and that is why I use OmniFocus and not Things - having tested both. I think the feeling on the part of people who want tags is that with all the great existing features - having tags or multiple Contexts would make OF so much better.

I think that one of the problems inherent in tags is misspelling something, and creating extra tags when that was not the intention (e.g., email emial). That can be addressed through the showing of existing tags as you type (just like with Contexts and Projects). I can also see limiting the number of tags or contexts one could apply to a task - if that would make things easier from a code development perspective.

Regards,

Daniel.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-06-25 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: please don't bump multiple threads on the same topic concurrently.

This post contains the current info. We'll certainly announce it if something changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This post contains the current info. We'll certainly announce it if something changes.
Thanks! I think that - in the context of what people are saying (sorry, no pun intended) meta-data = ability to generate multiple contexts.

I agree with what Mike says about the need to make things as easy as possible. Complexity should not be a necessity, but an option if it is called for (if I don't need to define my own metadata, there shouldn't be anything that pushes me towards it, but if I do have a need - as in the case of the multiple context functionality, I should have the ability to apply it to address my needs).

Personally I would use an "Agendas" context for that next action.

I think multiple contexts would get in the way more than they'd help but I also recognize that's my own bias using OF for a pretty by-the-book GTD implementation.

If I happen to see the Boss I want the speed that comes from knowing those topics can only reside in that one context. If the Boss turns the tables and asks for a status of Project XYZ (or even Project ABC) flipping quickly to the projects view deals with that scenario.

Any my handy capture tool helps with any ad hoc topics that arise.

The risk is some meetings might require a more formal agenda which is probably beyond the scope of OF but that's where I would start.

Mark