The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ubiqutious task entry -- anywhere, anytime Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've set this up now, and it works great. Love it.

Had it working throughout the day yesterday, and this morning it wasn't working - the incoming tweets were not being received. Was poking around to find out what happened, but couldn't find anything that had changed. I could see the tweets getting posted on my twitter page, but Proxi wasn't getting them.

Then all of a sudden all the pending tweets poured into my OF inbox.

Is the twitter API ever down, or stuck, intermittently? I'm wondering things were just jammed on the twitter side somewhere.

I've had it with Proxi. I welcomed the recent update, but it broke my workflow - when an error occurred in Proxi accessing twitter, notably when my mac was waking up from sleep and the network wasn't quite yet available, it would just stop trying. So it could go a day or more before I noticed that my twitter captures were not showing up in my OF inbox.

Don't like to gripe but I emailed Griffin support about it - and they just replied (and I quote): "unfortunately I don't have a solution for you". I've always liked Griffin's stuff and I still do - it just seems to me like Proxi doesn't get much in terms of resources.

I use Dragon and Vlingo to do voice captures via twitter on my iPhone and I count on it almost every day - so I've now switched to using Twitterific. See this tip for how to get it working - there is a sample script that's easy to modify.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1385...plescript.html

Took about 10 minutes to replace Proxi. If you do this don't forget to execute the defaults command on the command line - it's required.

Can someone please write up a sample script that I can download and run this feature ? I am by no means smart to figure this by myself (without running into problems) and dont want to risk breaking something else on my mac.. will appreciate if there are step by step guidelines as to how to achieve this..
Will really appreciate someone's help as this is an awesome feature !!!

I just posted the script for processing tweets via Twitterific in the other thread where you posted - I think that should do it. Cheers.

Resurrecting this old post, because it's cool and I missed it.

Proxi's dead (sob), but there's a newish web service that can do the same thing for you called ifttt (short for "if this then that"). (http://ifttt.com/)

With this service you can set any number of triggering events, which can include an incredibly large number of online actions: emails, phone calls (a la the Jott suggestion here), tweets... all kinds of stuff. Once the event triggers, then it can do all kinds of things with them, again, linking together all kinds of online services.

To use this for ubiquitous task entry, build any number of "tasks" using the triggering events you want. In keeping with this thread, phone call and Twitter are key, although there are lots of services that can push out an RSS feed or send an email, so those are good options, too.

For the "do this" step, just have it send an email that triggers your send-to-Omnifocus email rule. Easy peasy, and no custom AppleScripting required.

Here's an ifttt recipe to work from: http://ifttt.com/recipes/14744

Last edited by iNik; 2012-01-05 at 10:26 AM..

Very nice! Thanks iNik, I'm definitely going to give that a try.