The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Auto add start time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way script or else in order to have auto start time/date add in of mac? (like Things app)

One could theoretically write an AppleScript to do that, but I'm not aware of an existing script that does that.

In case it helps, OmniFocus treats items that don't have a Start date/time as having already started.

To be honest, unless you want something along the lines of "I never want to think about a thing I'm filing until a week later", I don't think anyone really needs to assign a start date for everything. (OmniFocus' Start date is really more of a "Don't start this until" date, if that makes sense.)

Brian, thanks for your reply. The reason I need the start day/time to be autocompletes and don't have to do it manually is for archive reasons. I -sometimes- want to know when some projects started for example.

OmniFocus tracks the creation date/time of everything. Why not use that for your archaeology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
OmniFocus tracks the creation date/time of everything. Why not use that for your archaeology?
Thank you for this. It made me go look. I was coming to the forum to look for an answer to a question similar to the OP and now see that there's an 'Added' date as well that things can be sorted and grouped by. I'll play with that and see if it works for my purpose.

ETA: On that note, it's odd that it's showing (when grouped by Added) the most recent at the top and the oldest at the bottom. That's the opposite of most sorts. Is there a way to reverse that?

Unfortunately, there's no way to reverse the sorts. Send in a feature request and hope others have as well. The ability to sort columns in either direction is one of many features that we all would have been using had it been in the initial release, but probably will never get enough requests to be done now, I suspect. Maybe in the grand UI revamp?

Also unfortunate is the insistence that in a view by start date (where presumably you'd be most interested in the actions that actually have a start date) actions with no start date should go to the top. I realize the notion is that an action without a start date is indistinguishable in effect from an action with a start date earlier than anything else, so placing them first is putting them in the "right" place (just like putting items with no due date last is right, because they are due later than anything else), but as a practical matter, one doesn't think of actions with no due or start date in those terms, and having them out of the way at the tail end in both cases would be more convenient most of the time.