The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAN WebDav Syncing Without Mobileme any luck? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there anyone successfully syncing OF securely over the internet without using mobileme (and I understand that the security of MM is perhaps suspect too)?

I'd be curious to hear any success stories and how they were achieved.

KS

Just FYI, MobileMe uses HTTPS for its WebDAV service (which is what we use for syncing to MobileMe), so it's pretty secure. (Assuming that you trust Apple with your data once it gets put on the MobileMe server.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
and I understand that the security of MM is perhaps suspect too
I don't think there are any known security issues with MobileMe other than accessing your data through MobileMe's web interface. The problem there is that the web access isn't encrypted.

However, this does not hold true for syncing data over MobileMe and accessing it from the desktop apps (iCal, Address Book, etc). The same holds true for accessing data on your iDisk, including OmniFocus syncing.

As Andrew mentioned above, access to the iDisk is encrypted, so I don't think there are any known security risks in syncing OmniFocus. The only things to be concerned about are:

(A) Comprised password - easily solved by using a good password and not sharing it with others.

(B) Can you trust the people (Apple in this case) who have physical access to the server on which your iDisk resides. But this is an inherent risk of cloud computing and something you'd face with any third party service.

FWIW, several people have submitted feature requests to allow encryption of the OmniFocus database itself, so when it's stored on the iDisk (or any third party webDAV server) it'll still be safe from unscrupulous support people. Such a feature might have an impact on OmniFocus' sync performance though, and there may be additional complications, so who knows if we'll actually see this released in the near future.

-Dennis