The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Script: custom OmniFocus action lists on the desktop, using Geektool Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
It's conceivable that earlier versions of OS X might have difficulty reading a .scpt file created under 10.6

I have now supplemented the existing .scpt with a plain text (.applescript) version.

(See the post at the start of this thread).
The plain text version is working perfectly. I'm also using 10.6 and am not sure if it's just me, but at this point I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks a lot for your help!

FWIW, I just downloaded the zip file from the first post and I can't open the script either. AppleScript Editor says it was saved as run only which it cleary isn't as QuickLook shows the source, but Script Debugger says:

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728)

Running "macerror -1728" gives me:

Mac OS error -1728 (errAENoSuchObject): e.g.,: specifier asked for the 3rd, but there are only 2. Basically, this indicates a run-time resolution error.

Then it occured to me perhaps the problem wasn't the script itself but that I was missing some component needed by the script. I downloaded the text, loaded it into Script Debugger, and hit compile. Sure enough, error -1728 "can't get application id org.tynsoe.geektool3". I don't have geektool installed and the script won't even load into the editor without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDave View Post
FWIW, I just downloaded the zip file from the first post and I can't open the script either.
Then it occured to me perhaps the problem wasn't the script itself but that I was missing some component needed by the script.
Confirmed. After installing GeekTool, the original script opens up without a problem. Good call, Dave.

Though with the plain text version I can still open it without GeekTool, remove the GT-specifics, and edit it to meet my needs.

Well spotted :-)

(The instructions in the first post do spell out that Geektools needs to be installed before the script is run, but there is probably too much text there - easy to miss ...)

I think your instructions are perfectly fine for anyone that wants to use it as is.

It's just odd that it can't open the script without GT. I can understand and expected a compile- or run-time error until I stripped out the GT specific stuff, but an issue with opening up the script itself and a horribly unhelpful/just plain wrong error message was not what I had anticipated.

Thanks again for all your help. Your script got me 95% of the way towards the HTML dumps I wanted to make while an OF window wasn't active and saved me a lot of hours.

Quote:
and these can all be modified, for example to adjust sort order,
in inbox order by dateAdded
in inbox order by dateAdded DESC
in inbox order by dateDue, dateAdded
due now order by effectivedateDue
next action order by effectiveDateDue
in context "Library" order by task.name
Is it possible to sort by start date? I use start date as the date they are due and Due Date for things that are really Due and can't be done after that "Due Date".

This is awesome thanks Rob for putting this together!

Also I can't seem to sort anything by context.
i.e.
in context "Phone" by dateAdded

I would ideally like to sort by
Flagged=1,
startDate
and that the action is unchecked

I can't seem to figure out how this is sorting things, it doesn't seem to mater if the project is dropped, or checked off or if the actions in the project or complete it still shows them in the list for me in OmniFocus 1.9

Code:
osascript ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Omnifocus/GeekOFSQL.scpt 'task where flagged=1 order by projectinfo, dateDue --header=Flagged ($N)\n' | fold -s -w 40

Last edited by skillet; 2011-07-07 at 12:09 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Flagged=1,
startDate
and that the action is unchecked
WHERE ... and dateCompleted is null ORDER BY flagged DESC, dateToStart
or perhaps
ORDER BY flagged DESC, dateToStart, dateCompleted
--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-07-07 at 02:03 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
I can't seem to sort anything by context.
i.e.
in context "Phone" by dateAdded
Don't have it to hand, but if memory of the underlying query serves, you should be able to sort by c.name for context titles.

Quote:
WHERE ... and dateCompleted is null ORDER BY flagged DESC, dateToStart
or perhaps
ORDER BY flagged DESC, dateToStart, dateCompleted
--
Wonderful that did the trick! I am not sure what "flagged DESC" does in this case as well as including "dateCompleted". Removing both of those gives me the same results.

Anyway thank you that is exactly what I was looking for. The cool thing with this it shows actions with start dates now but are part of Projects that have start date in the future. I had a few of those and I didn't realize because OmniFocus doesn't show those actions with Project start dates in the future, which is good that OF behaves this way.
Code:
osascript ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus/GeekOFSQL.scpt 'task where flagged=1 and dateCompleted is null ORDER BY flagged DESC,dateToStart,dateCompleted --header=Flagged ($N)\n' | fold -s -w 40