The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aaagh! Paste it there, dammit! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There must be a way to do this, but I can't figure it out.

I'm focussed on a project in Projects view, and want to paste actions I’ve just copies from another project; but when I paste, nothing happens, or at least it didn't seem to until I looked at All Items and there were dozens of new projects made from the pasted actions.

I tried drag-and-drop, but this just made links in the notes field of the target project.

What is the method of copying actions from one project to another?

I have a pile of projects, each of which needs broadly the same list of actions, so it makes sense to copy and paste.

Your help much appreciated.

Something like pxldot's project template script might be the best solution http://pxldot.com/projects

More generally, paste actions and action groups into an existing project by selecting a task in that project (creating a blank one if necessary - you can delete it afterwards).

(If your selection is at project level rather than task level, you will just create sister projects, rather than child tasks and task groups)

PS

When things are not pasted at the level you want, you can promote and demote task ⇄ project with Edit → Outlining → Indent and Edit → Outlining → Outdent

( ⌘] to demote from project level to a child task of the project above )

( Also bear in mind that the current view settings may be making pasted material invisible, on the basis of its status, dates etc )

I don't think I would have hit on that unintuitive solution, so thanks very much for the tip.

You suggest that pasting while a selection is active at the project level will create sister projects may be true when the selected project isn't in a folder, but my experience of this problem was that when I had a project selected within a folder the pasted actions appeared as new projects under Library.

I've been expecting it to work in the same way as the Finder, in which a file on the clipboard will be pasted into a selected folder. The effect in OF is as if the clipboard contents were pasted into at the root level.

I hope this will be handled differently in OF2.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconino View Post
I hope this will be handled differently in OF2
You could get that logged as a request by sending a quick note through Help → Send Feedback, perhaps with a link to this thread.