The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Confusing...?! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianonline View Post
The only thing is, and I've emailed feedback to Omnigroup about this, is that when all tasks are shown in Context mode, it does not show the individual contexts to which each task is for. I think that would help as I would not want to get payments to/from different business accounts mixed up! That's not likely as it shows the Project but still it would help.
You can handle this in two ways.

1. Show the View bar and group by context. You'll then see outline headings for each of your contexts; you can collapse or expand them as you need.

2. Select only the relevant context(s) in the sidebar (the pane on the left with the yellow background). You'll then see only actions in the context(s) you have chosen. You can select multiple, non-contiguous contexts by using the Command key.

By the way, those who follow the Getting Things Done model would not make contexts task-dependent (i.e., Financial) but, instead, tool- and place-dependent. For example, Office Computer would be a context for things you can only do on your office computer, Phone the context for things where you need a phone, Staff Meeting for actions that can only be done there, etc. It's the combination of focusing on projects or folders AND specifying contexts that make OmniFocus so powerful. For instance, I focus on my Research folder and I select my Library context: instantly I have a list of all the actions I can do in the library that are relevant to my research. I'm not distracted either by library-related tasks that are not relevant to research or by research-related tasks that can't be done in the library.

I don't see any "group by context" option, I think that's because they are already grouped by context but there is now context column between the task and Project columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
You can handle this in two ways.
those who follow the Getting Things Done model would not make contexts task-dependent but, instead, tool- and place-dependent.
I see what you mean and made Meeting, Legal, Marketing all contexts not sub-contexts within Business. And Financial is renamed to "Go to Bank". I think that should help.

Anyway, I should be getting on and actually doing some of this stuff!

Quote:
I don't see any "group by context" option, I think that's because they are already grouped by context but there is now context column between the task and Project columns.
Group by context is this lozenge on the View Bar: Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	609
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	382

The "{}" is meant to suggest grouping without spending much screen real estate.

Curt

That's not in my view menu. The attached picture shows my my entire View menu. There's no "{} Context" option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	383  

Quote:
That's not in my view menu. The attached picture shows my my entire View menu. There's no "{} Context" option.
Look in the View bar, not the View menu. Either click the glasses icon in your toolbar, or View > Show View Bar.

I see what you mean, thanks Cottser, however the picture below should illustrate what I'd like to do if possible. It's in Context mode and shows a column of Projects and the due date, what would help is another column showing the context. This would be especially helpful if printing as no contexts is are shown then. Short of taking the computer with me, the only way to have 'things to do' with me is to print it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	549
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	384  

I've just found that having the context displayed does work as I would like, but only if I enter the task while in Contexts mode, as the top event shown here shows:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	564
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	385  

Quote:
I've just found that having the context displayed does work as I would like, but only if I enter the task while in Contexts mode, as the top event shown here shows:
The attachment shows a view of what you get when you group by Context (i.e., set the grouping popup in the View Bar to {} Context).

I've collapsed all but one context, but you can expand them all. If you print out this list, you can take it with you and know what contexts your actions are in. You can even "Collapse All" (from the View menu) and then just expand the contexts you need to take with you. Or you can select only those contexts from the sidebar and then print out the list.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	389