The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Baffled by Perspectives Options Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Even after consulting the help, I still don't understand the rationale behind the options for perspective views. I thought the whole point of perspectives was to remember the window exactly as it was set up. What's the point in being able to specify whether the window opens in planning or context mode? If I change the mode, the view is completely altered. I simply can't view the same perspective in either mode. In fact, I thought the mode was part of the definition for a given perspective. I just don't understand the purpose of those options. Perhaps an example would help clarify.

And I still don't understand the "Also restore settings for other mode" setting. The online help did not clarify this for me. I haven't a clue what this does.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotster View Post
I thought the whole point of perspectives was to remember the window exactly as it was set up. What's the point in being able to specify whether the window opens in planning or context mode?
Yes, you are correct: perspectives remember the window exactly as it was set up. The buttons to open in planning or context mode are there to allow an existing perspective to be modified without having to recreate the perspective or take a new snapshot.

If you've created a new perspective by taking a snapshot, then you shouldn't have to fiddle with those buttons (assuming you're happy with the original setting).

Quote:
If I change the mode, the view is completely altered. I simply can't view the same perspective in either mode. ...

And I still don't understand the "Also restore settings for other mode" setting.
By default, OmniFocus preserves the settings in the current view mode only (planning or contexts). By clicking the "Also restore settings for other mode", OmniFocus will preserve the settings in both modes.

I suspect what's happing in your situation (where switching modes completely alters the perspective) is that you haven't checked the "Also restore settings for other mode". So by switching modes, OmniFocus is displaying whatever settings you had previously, but not the settings you want saved.

For example, I have a perspective that shows me completed actions. Typically, I want to see that in context mode, where all my actions are displayed independently of their enclosing projects. But sometimes I want to switch to planning mode and see completed projects too. So, after setting up both views the way I wanted them and taking a snapshot to create the perspective, I checked the "Also restore settings for other mode". Now, whenever I view that perspective, I can toggle between context and planning mode to see my data presented both ways.

Does that make sense?

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
The buttons to open in planning or context mode are there to allow an existing perspective to be modified without having to recreate the perspective or take a new snapshot.
Hmm, updating a perspective is just a single mouse click. Having those options just seems to needlessly complicate the UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
By default, OmniFocus preserves the settings in the current view mode only (planning or contexts). By clicking the "Also restore settings for other mode", OmniFocus will preserve the settings in both modes.
Ah, I see. So a perspective can be mode-specific, or it can apply to both modes. I think I understand now, but I find the wording a bit confusing. I think the "restore settings" phrase is what confuses me. "Preserve settings" might be a better choice.

-Steve

Quote:
I think I understand now, but I find the wording a bit confusing.
If I'm honest, I think that's true of a lot of OF. The wordings all make sense once you know what they do, but many are confusing if you don't.

"Make available in both modes"?

"Apply settings to both modes"?

"Use perspective in both modes"?