The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus Data Storage Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I take it that other files copy correctly?
Yes this is the first time I have seen this problem.

Quote:
I'm not very familiar with the Thecus NAS, but the "username:password" portion of the destination path looks suspicious to me.
Both source and destination drives were already mounted

Quote:
Alternatively, the symptom doesn't really seem to indicate this, but since the .ofocus file is actually a folder containing multiple files, one possibility is that the problem is with the name of one of the constituent files.
That could be the case and I will go back now that Ken has commented and try to back up just the 336 separate files and see what happens.

Quote:
Once you renamed the .ofocus file, causing Finder to reveal it as a folder, did you try to copy that folder to your server?
No. See above.

Quote:
If the problem has to do with one (or more) of the constituent files, I would expect Finder to succeed with copying some files, then get stuck with the problem file, and give you an error message that includes the name of the problem file. That name might be enough to determine the problem.
I'll let you know how it goes when I have time to investigate further.

Thanks for your suggestions.

ueila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueila
"/Volumes/username:password/d_macs/omnifocus/OmniFocus.ofocus"
Error: (-37) Bad item name.
Would you skip and continue?"
To me, the "username:password" looks like you are trying to prepend login information for a server share; that typically takes the form of:

Quote:
username:password@hostname
Maybe replacing the "/" between "password" and "d_macs" with an ampersand would work?

But then again, you're referencing it as a pathname from /Volumes, so that might not work. Can you access the server share using an SMB URL? Something like:

Quote:
smb://username:password@d_macs/omnifocus/OmniFocus.ofocus

Just to finish this thread I have tried drag'n'drop between two finder windows and that does not work either.

The file that gives the problem is OmniFocus~.ofocus and the error message is "You cannot copy the item "root=CA6138A6-7E8A-4A43-B40F-7AFDFF25AC/1E7B9A01-0DA4-48E1-B510-018FD631AD7D.xml@ because the name is too long or includes characters that the disk cannot display." This is a drag'n'drop from an iMac HD to a Server.

Trying to drag an OmniFocus backup like OmniFocus 2007-05-23 065126.ofocus produces the same error message.

If other users are seeing the same problem if makes me wonder how we are going to backup to Windows 2003 servers. There is no problem backing up to external HDs connected by firewire.

ueila

Quote:
The file that gives the problem is OmniFocus~.ofocus and the error message is "You cannot copy the item "root=CA6138A6-7E8A-4A43-B40F-7AFDFF25AC/1E7B9A01-0DA4-48E1-B510-018FD631AD7D.xml@ because the name is too long or includes characters that the disk cannot display."
Hmm, I wonder whether it's tripping over the long filename or the slash? I guess I could believe that either one might be tripping up the Windows server. (You could test this by editing the "root=..." filename to use a space instead of a slash. OmniFocus won't be able to read it that way, but it would at least let us know whether that's the problem.)

Quote:
If other users are seeing the same problem if makes me wonder how we are going to backup to Windows 2003 servers. There is no problem backing up to external HDs connected by firewire.
One approach might be to make an archive of the file and back that up instead: in the Finder, select the OmniFocus.ofocus file and then select "Create Archive of ..." from either the File menu or context menu.

Ken, where is the SQL cache stored? From a programming perspective would there be any problem in just reading the data into another application when OmniFocus is running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunicki
Ken, where is the SQL cache stored?
It's in ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunicki
From a programming perspective would there be any problem in just reading the data into another application when OmniFocus is running?
It's not going to upset OmniFocus if you read that sqlite database, but your code will be more fragile if you're relying on the schema of our cache (which could change from one build to the next). I'd definitely recommend using our AppleScript interfaces instead. (Bear in mind that you don't actually have to code in AppleScript to use those interfaces: you can also get at them from ruby or python using their scripting bridges.)

I'm sorry if this is a terribly snoopy and/or stupid question, but was it difficult to create this type of hybrid database and did you do it with Xcode?

FWIW, I ran into the same file name problem last night just trying to back-up my OF file from my MacBook to my PowerBook. Very similar error message to the "root=..." one above.