The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Leopard SMB Related Error Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello-

I have an OS X 10.4 Server running SMB sharing as my file server on my network. I just upgraded this workstation to 10.5 and am having a problem opening OmniGraffle files from the file server via the SMB mount. When I double click an OmniGraffle file I get the error:

The document “<filename>.graffle” could not be opened. File is empty or unreadable

If I copy the same file to my local drive and double-click it, it opens normally.

Let me know if I can provide any more helpful details.

There are a few issues with smb shares under 10.5 apparently. A friend is running the latest development build of 10.5.1 says that the smb issues have been resolved for him, so maybe the next Apple update will solve your problem. Fingers crossed it won't be too far away.

Scott

Likely due to Graffle saving off those files as file packages, which is the default if there are placed images in the document.

If you have OmniGraffle 4.2 or later, there's a setting to save the file as a "flat" one in the new Document Settings Inspector.

It was indeed an Apple bug and 10.5.1 resolved it. Thanks for the replies!

Further note - I am using 5.2.1 - and encountered this same error - on a Mac that is on a mixed network. 5.2.2 release notes mention it no longer default saves as a package - which is all well and good - but for me who lost a whole days of work -

NOTICE - if you are on a network that does any kind of cleaning up of files you may lose your data if you do not save as a flattened file.

I saved an OmniGraffle file Friday night, saved it twice - once to my local desktop, and once to a folder on my desktop - just to be sure. THen I closed the one I was working on, then opened the one on my deskop in the folder -it was all there.

Monday - I come in and open it the same way - and I get the dreaded "<filename> could not be opened. File is empty or unreadable". When I right click on the file I get the option "See Package contents" - which leads me to believe this thing on my desktop is just a resource pointing the package which for some reason is no longer there.

Nearest I can figure - my network, or my MAC setting, has something that cleans up Temp files or something that erased everything this was pointtint to. SO - just beware - and meanwhile I am going to see if I can get 5.2.2 ;)

btw - if anyone has clues as to where I can look for my missing package contents let me know.