The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Time out Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please don't "time out" the betas. I was just off-line (internet was down) and OmniFocus wouldn't launch because it expired, and then I could access my data. That's not nice.

We put a "time out" on the betas because we are changing stuff so fast that if you are still running a beta from a week ago, there's a good chance that your feature requests and bug reports will have already been fulfilled. If you do get into this situation, you can still force OmniFocus to open and show you your data by changing your system clock -- obviously not a sustainable situation, but at least you can check what you need to be getting done.

The final release will, of course, not have a time out like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
We put a "time out" on the betas because we are changing stuff so fast that if you are still running a beta from a week ago, there's a good chance that your feature requests and bug reports will have already been fulfilled. If you do get into this situation, you can still force OmniFocus to open and show you your data by changing your system clock -- obviously not a sustainable situation, but at least you can check what you need to be getting done.

The final release will, of course, not have a time out like this.
Look, every time I launch, it checks the web for updates, assuming I'm on the web, so normally I'll have the latest greatest, so timing out is redundant if it is for the purpose stated. Besides, even if I am online, there may have been 3-4 updates by the time it bothers to check again.

It is not fun having your data inaccessible, and changing the system clock throws off other stuff so I can't believe you even suggested it. So please remove the time out, or extend it to January 8th (or a few days later, with a warning) so that this doesn't happen again. With all this winter weather, there are a lot of net outages. And I don't always work on line. If I had a request/bug to share I would be sure I had the latest greatest before submitting.

Our builds are set to expire 8 days after they are built.* If you're offline for more than a week at a time, I can see how this would cause you difficulty. Perhaps you shouldn't be running beta software.

*If you observe builds expiring faster than that, please let us know so we can correct that.

I am going to be away from the internet for more than eight days. I was hoping to take my computer with me, as I travel to friends over the holidays --- does this mean in eight days, even though I have bought omni-focus, I will not be able to use it
?

"even though I have bought omni-focus"

librarymonkey27: You did not buy the OmniFocus beta. You pre-ordered the final version of OmniFocus, which will be available for download on the official release date. This is just like pre-ordering a book or CD or videogame -- until the release date, you don't get to use it.

Right now, anyone can download and use the betas whether or not they have pre-ordered the final version, within the constraints of the beta program.*

While we hope it doesn't come down to this, if these terms are unacceptable to you, please contact sales@omnigroup.com to make use of our 30-day refund policy.

*In this case, those constraints include an expiration date on the application.

Last edited by Lizard; 2007-12-20 at 02:33 PM..

1) so you did not take any money out of my credit card, until I download the final version?
2) is that thirty days from final version is downloaded to get a refund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
"even though I have bought omni-focus"

librarymonkey27: You did not buy the OmniFocus beta. You pre-ordered the final version of OmniFocus, which will be available for download on the official release date. This is just like pre-ordering a book or CD or videogame -- until the release date, you don't get to use it.

Right now, anyone can download and use the betas whether or not they have pre-ordered the final version, within the constraints of the beta program.*

While we hope it doesn't come down to this, if these terms are unacceptable to you, please contact sales@omnigroup.com to make use of our 30-day refund policy.

*In this case, those constraints include an expiration date on the application.

I see with the new build that eight days is Moot, and I will send my two questions to support

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarymonkey27 View Post
1) so you did not take any money out of my credit card, until I download the final version?
Am I having a senior moment, or do I remember correctly that one of the conditions to getting the final version at the special price is that the credit card will be charged immediately.

thanks for your input