The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Preventing projects from being deleted when complete Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to keep a project open once the last task has been completed? For example, if I have a project called Shopping, this is an ongoing project but every so often I will have completed all the tasks in it so I don't want it to be deleted.

I have tried changing the option in Preferences "When completing the last item, mark the project or group complete" but this didn't seem to make any difference.

The setting in Preferences will only be applied as the default to newly created projects. You can change this on a project by project basis by showing the info for a project (Command-Shift-I) and check/uncheck the 'Mark complete when completing last item' box.

Brilliant! Thank you so much.

This doesn't work for me. I have tried several times to do this to certain projects only to come back later to discover that they have been marked as completed when the last action is done.

This must be a bug - has nobody else seen this?

In Where in OF , the saveable search:
projects where completed by children is true
will enable you to list (and focus on) all/any projects which are set to be completed by their children.

If you select a range of such projects, you should be able to batch reset their 'completed by children' status with a single click in the Project inspector dialog.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-07-17 at 07:29 AM..

Thanks - but my point is that each time that I uncheck the "Mark complete when completing last item", I will then return to that project and it will be set again. Not immediately - and this is what is really puzzling - but after an undetermined amount of time (days/weeks).

In my mind this is clearly a bug, but I just cannot see a common denominator in what I do that might trigger it, i.e. reset the checkbox.

And these projects that have been completed against your wishes definitely have that checkbox checked again? It couldn't be that the project accidentally got marked completed?

Yep - seriously. It's been driving me batty as I cannot discern a pattern in what I am doing that would do this. I thought it was a syncing issue (I am using WebDAV) but I cannot tell.

What I find most annoying is when this happens to projects which I've designated for Single Actions. I am regularly putting actions into them and occasionally they get cleared out, but then something else will come along which I need to put in there. When I try to do so, from the Quick Entry window which I use a lot, I cannot find the project. I go look for it and I see that it has been marked as completed.

If anybody can suggest something that I can try that may shed light into what is happening (whether it's a bug or I am doing something silly) then please tell me!

You should definitely contact the support ninjas (1-800-315-OMNI or omnifocus@omnigroup.com) and see if they've seen anything like this before. I haven't seen it myself, and haven't seen any reports of it on the forums, but that doesn't mean they haven't heard of it.

As a stopgap measure, why not add an action to each of these projects/SALs that you want to "protect" from this behavior, with a start date well in the future so that you don't see it? Then the projects won't really be empty and it won't matter if that checkbox is somehow changing state on you. You could also make yourself a project-mode perspective that just shows completed projects, grouped by completion date, closing all groups except for today and yesterday, which you could use to quickly check every day that you haven't completed any projects that you didn't intend to complete.

I reported a bug sometime back where selecting multiple items and changing that checkbox doesn't stick. Changing one project or action group at a time works, but not batch changing several. Is that what's happening here?

Curt