The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need to set task to start before another task completes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Im new to this tool. I need to put in a - start date or rather I want to begin a task based upon the forecast completion of another and if that task slips, I want my second one to do so as well.

In MS Proj, I could link a task with a - sign in the start date and it would adjust the days automatically, I can't seem to find that function. I would appreciate hints to do this.

Thanks,

Hugh

Just make a finish-start dependency from the first task to the second. OmniPlan will automatically estimate the date the second task would be able to start, and will adjust it if the first changes.

In general, it's better to build your plan with dependencies rather than plugging in dates. If you build the plan with Tom doing one task on Monday (for 3 days) and starting another on Thursday (for 2 days), you get the same appearance on the Gantt chart as if you assign Tom a 3 day task on Monday with a finish-start dependency to another task (for 2 days), but only the one done with dependencies works well if Tom's tasks don't work out exactly as estimated (in my experience, that's almost always the case!)