The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniPresence
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Folders? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm very happy that we finally have an Omni Sync solution!!
I'm wondering if we'll be able to create folders in it... having all the files of all 3 apps in one single big folder is not very practical.
Am I missing something?

You can create whatever folder structure you would like inside your OmniPresence folder on the Mac. The iPad apps will still see all relevant files.

Thanks, that's great to know!
And if I create a new document on the iPad, I suppose it goes in the root level of the OP folder, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaz View Post
And if I create a new document on the iPad, I suppose it goes in the root level of the OP folder, right?
That is correct.

It's a little odd at first seeing folders in OP on the desktop but the iOS Omni apps have no groups or folders. As mentioned - new docs created on iOS get synced to the root of the OP folder on the desktop. Watching that folder with Hazel can help keep it organized from a desktop perspective.

I created a symbolic link within an OmniPresence folder. Instead of syncing what that link pointed to (as Dropbox) does, OmniPresence synced the link itself. Is this the preferred behavior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
I created a symbolic link within an OmniPresence folder. Instead of syncing what that link pointed to (as Dropbox) does, OmniPresence synced the link itself. Is this the preferred behavior?
OmniPresence is sandboxed which prevents us from being able to do that. However, we also feel this is the safer choice as preserving the symlinks means you can sync things like apps and frameworks without them being corrupted. Let me know if you have anymore questions about this, thanks!

It seems at least to me then that it would be better for OmniPresence to allow selecting an existing local folder to sync rather than insisting a new folder be created...

Quote:
It seems at least to me then that it would be better for OmniPresence to allow selecting an existing local folder to sync rather than insisting a new folder be created...
A new folder is required to prevent possible cases of data corruption when there's already files on your OmniPresence server.

Quote:
Seconded. I can't be the only one who was already using Transmit/ForkLift/Unison to sync folders. Having to rename, recreate, repopulate each one is unnecessary busywork.

What's compounded the problem massively for me is that OmniOutliner on the iPad pretends folders don't exist. I have several subfolders that each contain a bunch of files with exactly the same names. So in order to not have complete chaos on the iPad (dozens of files with exactly the same names), I've had to set each subfolder up as a separate OmniPresence folder and repeat the whole business four times each (and counting) on my two Macs and iPad.

Not really as user-friendly as it could be, though I'm hoping once I've finished setting everything up, it will run a lot more smoothly than with WebDAV+Unison.

It'd also be nice if OmniPresence could recognise when a new sync folder is on the same server as one it's already run its compatibility tests on, and so not go through the whole testing rigmarole again.