The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniPresence
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Syncing OmniOutliner documents stored in separate folders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've spent a small amount of time syncing OmniOutliner documents and have hit a problem with the way I'd like to use it. I have multiple projects, each stored in their own folder where I have a project-tracking OmniOutliner document for each project.

I'd like to sync each of these documents with my iPad so I can work on them when I'm away from the office but I don't want to move these documents to a single folder that can be synced with OmniPresence, they need to stay in their respective project folders.

Rather than syncing specified folders, would it be possible to sync individual documents as well? How are others dealing with this type of problem, or are you living with the fact that the documents can't live within project folders? Or, have I missed the ability to sync individual documents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonC View Post
I've spent a small amount of time syncing OmniOutliner documents and have hit a problem with the way I'd like to use it. I have multiple projects, each stored in their own folder where I have a project-tracking OmniOutliner document for each project.

I'd like to sync each of these documents with my iPad so I can work on them when I'm away from the office but I don't want to move these documents to a single folder that can be synced with OmniPresence, they need to stay in their respective project folders.

Rather than syncing specified folders, would it be possible to sync individual documents as well? How are others dealing with this type of problem, or are you living with the fact that the documents can't live within project folders? Or, have I missed the ability to sync individual documents?
I've started using OP with OO documents and, like you, I have documents scattered across several folders. I'm not too pleased with this, but I've found a solution.

You can create symbiotic links between the file in your OP folder and the location you want the symlink to point to in your file system. It's similar to having an alias of the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism View Post
I've started using OP with OO documents and, like you, I have documents scattered across several folders. I'm not too pleased with this, but I've found a solution.

You can create symbiotic links between the file in your OP folder and the location you want the symlink to point to in your file system. It's similar to having an alias of the file.
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, this won't work for me because I use ChronoSync to sync my data between an iMac and MacBook Pro and it seems to break aliases and symbolic links when they're synchronised between computers. If I create a symlink on the iMac, it doesn't work on the MacBook Pro and vice versa.

I still haven't come up with a good way of working with this and I'm hoping that a future update will allow the syncing of individual files in different folders.