The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Search in Google. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to OmniWeb and experiencing a problem with the control-click menu in various apps. Even while writing this thread in OmniWeb, if I select a word, control-click and then choose "search in Google" from the menu, Safari starts up and searches Google. How do I change this default action so that OmniWeb is used instead? I am using OmniWeb-5.6 and OS X Tiger (10.4.4).

Short answer - you can't as this is Apple's menu shortcut, not OmniGroup's. It is hard coded to go to Safari instead of your default browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotterdk View Post
I am new to OmniWeb and experiencing a problem with the control-click menu in various apps. Even while writing this thread in OmniWeb, if I select a word, control-click and then choose "search in Google" from the menu, Safari starts up and searches Google. How do I change this default action so that OmniWeb is used instead? I am using OmniWeb-5.6 and OS X Tiger (10.4.4).
I don't have "Search in Google" in the contextual menu in OW 5.8 nor is it in any other menu. What's up with that?
The only other way to have google search the selected text is the services menu, again this opens Safari.

Will OG add a "Search in Google" contextual menu item so it actually opens a new Tab in OW and performs the Google search?

I think you'll find that if you start posting a response, select a word in your posting and do as described, that there is a much more extensive set of choices, including "Search in Google". However, that Search in Google option is hardwired by the system (which provides it) to use Safari, no matter what browser you are using or have set as the default browser.

In Safari (here, a WebKit nightly) with SafariStand, it's even more useful:

Ok, I was actually speaking of selected text in the body of a page not in a text form such as a reply as mentioned. In this case it seems, iCab is a little smarter than OW. In iCab I select text in a page and the option in the context menu is "Find text selection in Internet". Maybe this is a custom adaption of the "Search in Google" function, since iCab's function actually does search Google.

This is something i'd like to see in OW. I'd like OW to open a new tab and google it.

iCab's find text selection in Internet

I notice in OW Edit>Find menu "Search The Web" Command+Shift+F" but this doesn't work for the currently selected text. maybe this could be adapted to do what we need and placed in the context menu.

That shortcut places the selected text in the 'Google' search box in the toolbar.