The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Bottleneck actions? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm working on sorting out my many next actions and ran across a few bottlenecks -- a single task that has multiple projects waiting on it. For example, "Take the car in for repair" may be blocking two or three projects that require mobility. Or "Get newspaper from newsstand" may be blocking a few projects that depend on reading several articles.

How do people here usually handle such bottlenecks (with or without OF)? I don't really want to make duplicates of a single action to go in each project, but the projects are stalled until this action is completed.

Is there a clever way to do it in OF?

This is a workaround... but I usually will put a waiting for action item in the stalled projects.

Example:
Project: Change Oil in Car
-Take Car in to get oil changed -repeating
--call mechanic to set up oil change appointment

Project: I know why car is making strange sounds
-Research autoshops on web to take car to

I have a repeating project to get my oil changed every 3 months.

I need to take my car in to get a problem looked at. At which time they will change my oil.

My change oil in car project, I'll have a waiting for action added.

Project: Change Oil in Car
-Waiting to take car in to get sounds looked at - waiting for
-Take Car in to get oil changed -repeating
--call mechanic to set up oil change appointment

Project: I know why car is making strange sounds
-Research autoshops on web to take car to

I would love to have a way to 'link' actions so when that bottleneck action is complete, the other actions show up.