The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Additional filtering option? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The recent addition of filters for the planning view to filter out projects/subprojects has been great. Since I have a lot of projects/subprojects, it is really helpful to see only projects/subprojects that have items that matches filter (e.g., flags).

Now I'm wondering whey couldn't we have the same thing for task status (available, remaining, etc).

The way I'm using this feature now is for me to flag all the items so that the filter works to my satisfaction (clears away the clutter on the right pane so that I can focus on projects that have action items). Since the sidebar still shows all my projects, I don't see any reason why I want to keep seeing blank projects/subprojects on the right pane. So, additional filtering capability would be great for me.

Any thoughts from Omni?
 
I think your suggestion is a good one.

In the current implementation have you tried just selecting the projects in the sidebar and using the Focus command? That seems far easier than trying to use flags for the same purpose.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I think your suggestion is a good one.

In the current implementation have you tried just selecting the projects in the sidebar and using the Focus command? That seems far easier than trying to use flags for the same purpose.
I have when I want to focus on a particular project, but there are times (most of time in my case) when I want to browse all the relevant action items by selecting the library heading. This is where the additional filtering really comes in handy.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Now I'm wondering whey couldn't we have the same thing for task status (available, remaining, etc).
The reason we had for not dropping project headers when there are no available/remaining actions is that a project may legitimately not have any actions (say, if you just created it, or if you are about to review it to possibly add more actions or mark it completed).

In these cases, you need the project row to have something under which to add new action rows.
__________________
CTO, The Omni Group
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
The reason we had for not dropping project headers when there are no available/remaining actions is that a project may legitimately not have any actions (say, if you just created it, or if you are about to review it to possibly add more actions or mark it completed).

In these cases, you need the project row to have something under which to add new action rows.
I understand, but I think it would be easier for me to change the filter to show all actions first before entering a new action, or I can use the quick entry. As my project list grows, the real estate I see my actions gets too crowded as is. Since duration and flag fields are now filters, I have to change it to enter a new task if I am using one of those filters activated anyway.

I guess it all comes down to whether I consider the action status as a filter, and in my case, I do, and this makes hiding of not relevant projects helpful.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New, additional computer malisa OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2009-09-05 12:21 PM
Option-scroll to zoom option XedMada OmniGraffle General 0 2009-07-27 10:02 AM
request - additional sorting option for view bar "project status" johnjj OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-11-22 01:03 PM
Add additional fonts? techmate OmniGraffle General 1 2006-12-06 05:35 PM
Additional Start page option in Prefs TommyW OmniWeb Feature Requests 0 2006-04-29 04:03 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.