The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Synchronization to CalDAV calendar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For sharing calendars between computers I make use of Leopard's iCal ability to access a CalDAV server (Darwin Calendar Server), this enables me to access and edit the same calendars with iCal from different machines.

These calendars are not showing up in the Synchronization preferences in OF though. Any chance of including this feature?

Synchronization seems to be a big issue judging by previous posts and it's the only real show-stopper I've found so far in experimenting with OF.

Unfortunately, Leopard's Sync Services don't support CalDAV servers. (This came as a surprise to a lot of developers, including us.)

Fortunately, we're building direct OmniFocus-to-OmniFocus synchronization into version 1.1. For the situation you describe, this is a lot more useful anyway: it synchronizes all your data (including attachments, project and context relationships, etc.) rather than just the limited amount of task information that is supported by CalDAV.

I'm new here and do not own OmniFocus not iPhone yet (wating for 2.0 to settle in). I curently sync my Treo 680 to Mac's iCal and Address Book via Missing Sync. I have good size databases (calendar 7000 entries, contacts 2500, tasks 300 and memos 30 (using Mark/Space's Notebook). I have few syncing issues.

Since I first got a Mac 5/07, I noticed how skimpy the tasks (ToDo's) were along with some built-in faulty task filters (confirmed by Apple). Your system is so far superior that it has sold me. I am retired and, therfore, do not have any corporate PIM requirements. My question: when I buy an iPhone and beginning using OmniVision, my understaning is that I will be syncing my Tasks between my OmviVision on my Mac desktop and my iPhone by repladcing Missing Sync with your sync tool. Is there any reason that I would want to continue to also sync with the task part of iCal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyofSF View Post
My question: when I buy an iPhone, ... Is there any reason that I would want to continue to also sync with the task part of iCal?
Your needs sound very much like mine: I used to sync with iCal and then use Missing Sync to get my errands onto my Palm Treo. But now that (internal test builds of) OmniFocus can sync between multiple Macs and my iPhone, I no longer have any reason to sync with iCal. (So I don't!)

Ken, a follow-up question: do the "internal builds" of OF 1.1 with OF<->OF sync have to wait on your release from whatever residual NDAs from Apple remain before the roll-out of the AppStore, or is the app simply not good enough (in Omni's opinion) to be released to the wild?

If the former, bummer (hurry it up, Apple!)

If the latter, please take this as a vote to move to SneakyPeeks sooner rather than later!

Thanks!

We plan to release sneaky peeks of OmniFocus 1.1 before the app store rolls out.

Bear in mind that the whole purpose of 1.1 is to enable synchronization, which involves major changes to the way data is stored and processed. We've been using 1.1 internally for a few months, but we know we can't find everything on our own: anyone who uses these sneaky peeks before they've been widely tested risks potential data loss or corruption. For this reason, we plan to limit the distribution by giving out access passwords to a few brave users at a time (just as we did when we first started releasing sneaky peek builds of 1.0).

So this isn't for the faint of heart (and frequent backups are recommended), but if you'd like to join us on the bleeding edge we'll be putting up a sign up page soon. (I'll post the URL to the forums once it's up.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Unfortunately, Leopard's Sync Services don't support CalDAV servers. (This came as a surprise to a lot of developers, including us.)

Fortunately, we're building direct OmniFocus-to-OmniFocus synchronization into version 1.1. For the situation you describe, this is a lot more useful anyway: it synchronizes all your data (including attachments, project and context relationships, etc.) rather than just the limited amount of task information that is supported by CalDAV.
Ken,

I have a feeling this may have changed recently. I was disappointed that I was not able to sync my CalDAV calendars (from a Zimbra server) to my iPhone. In fact I had given up trying. About a week ago, I happened to be in my preferences in iTunes for the iPhone and my CalDAV servers were in the list. I think this change may have been a part of the 10.5.3 update.

I for one, would really like to sync my tasks to these server based calendars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplater View Post
I have a feeling this may have changed recently.
So it has! It looks like Sync Services does have entries for CalDAV calendars now, but unfortunately…

Quote:
I for one, would really like to sync my tasks to these server based calendars.
…unfortunately, while the CalDAV calendars are now visible to Sync Services, they seem to be marked read-only. (This is the only reason they don't show up in OmniFocus' calendar list in Sync Preferences; we don't list calendars that you can't modify.)