The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Will sandboxing shut down inter-app applescript ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I absolutely see the problem with this decision and frankly if I was running apple in the competitive market situation they are facing then I would likely go the "end user route", making things as convenient for as many users as possible. When it comes down to justifying the past quarters sales to your stakeholders it is kind of problematic to argue in favor of a minority who wants to script. After all apple is a commercial institution.

That being said it would still be great if there could be a way to give people with a bit more knowledge a bit mre freedom as well. And if the average joe then presses the button with the big warning sign and gets hammered...oh well, that's evolution.

In short, from 'Think different' to 'Just keep grazing' in 14 years :-)

One can hardly blame Apple (or its shareholders) for reducing everything to the fundamentals (fundamentalism ?) of maximizing return on investment. That's how a big farm grows, and it is a big farm now.

These were once the words above the gate:
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. - Apple Inc.
Heady stuff :-)

But its time has passed ...

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If I can make computers easier to use and less scary for millions of people out there, is it worth ...
But easier to use for what ? For thinking and producing, or for purchasing and consuming ?

The point about iOssification is that the needs of consumption are given absolute priority (simply because more profitable) over those of thinking and producing.
(More profitable, that is, for the supplier - not, of course, for us ...)
Do 'ordinary folk' not think and produce ?

Are we only considered 'ordinary folk' when we quietly consume, put up with the system we are given, and make no special requests ?

The iconic apple used to have just a small bite at the right ...

From 'Think different' to 'Eat more ...' in less than fifteen years ?

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
... On the one hand, I want Rob to be able to write the awesome scripts that he writes; on the other hand, I want Apple to achieve tons of success and popularity without enabling the kind of spam-generating-botnet nightmares that occur on other platforms. ...
Ah! ... Well, for this we just have to have Rob assure us with 100% certainty that he never was and never will be a botnet.

:-)

--
JJW

I see no contradiction here, Rob. As long as we realize, in retrospect, that he was referring to himself—not to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
In short, from 'Think different' to 'Just keep grazing' in 14 years :-)
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. - Apple Inc.
Heady stuff :-)

But its time has passed ...

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
I see no contradiction here, Rob. As long as we realize, in retrospect, that he was referring to himself—not to us.
Well, I'm sure he was running his Excel spreadsheets under Windows all along - better support for VBA, for a start :-)

It's usually people that work in IT that don't get the post-PC era and what it means. Ironic.

Drifting off-topic here, but I do sympathise with those in the industry who feel sceptical about the value of digital grazing.

I'll be watching these matters with lots of concern. I haven't hung out here in these forums as much lately, but enough in the last few years to know that I'm not the only one that would be affected greatly by the worst-case scenario here.

The scriptability of OmniFocus has enabled me to establish workflows that are engrained into my daily life. I have almost two dozen scripts. I use about 20% of them multiple times daily, and a subset of those, more than once/hour (one of them, even when I'm sleeping, actually - via cron). :-)

I think I may have been missing the point of this thread.

Sandboxing shouldn't be a threat to the scriptability of apps, should it? Per the thread's title, we're concerned about *inter-app* scripting only, right?

As far as *capture* goes - I use scripts for capture from Safari (capture all open tabs into OF), Twitterific, and Mail, and I'm thinking about Dialectic. I suppose capture can still be accomplished using the omnifocus:// URL scheme, but I don't think it would accommodate capturing more than one thing at once.