The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advice on how to turn tasks into scheduled events and easily plan my (read for more) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here is the problem I am trying to solve:

I have a lot of actions entered in OF that I have specific due dates (and times - but I don't really use the times meaningfully as you will see in a second).

I want to plan my day or week to be able not only to be reminded that something is due, but actually schedule out my tasks so I can decide when and how to get things done within a specific day.

For example. Let's say tonight I go home and look over my coming soon tasks. I identify 3 tasks that are errands I could do on my way into work that morning. Right now, I am struggling with how to highlight those tasks be able to map out my day with tasks in mind.

I tried the iCal sync, but it only puts items in the to do section. What I really would love is the ability within OF or in conjunction with iCal to schedule those tasks in such a way that they would be visible in a calendar view. The ability to set the duration of the action (perhaps a default of 30 mins.) would then put the appropriate place holder on the calendar.

So in reference to my comment about meaningful use of the time setting for due dates in OF. For the most part I am really just assigning tasks to days, and the time setting is not working in a way that is easily actionable. In a separate request I have asked for a way to set a task as a day without a time. However, if I could utilize the time for specific tasks that I want to schedule and then see that schedule laid out in a daily and weekly planning view, I would really be able to Get Things Done :)

Cheers and thanks in advance.

PS I also filed this as Feature Request with support

Others have requested that actions sync to iCal as events, for this (and other) reasons. See this thread and this thread for a discussion of the issues.

I personally would not use such a feature, because an emergency or unexpected opportunity could wreak havoc with your carefully laid out schedule. I prefer to rely on regular reviews of my projects to keep myself up-to-date on how many commitments I have and to help me decide, from moment to moment, what I should be doing next.

Posting on this forum is probably not what I should be doing, though! Back to work....