The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can custom data be printed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to print the value of a project-level custom data attribute? For example, I would like to print the "Version" of a project in the header. "Version" is a custom data item with a value.

If so, how do I specify the custom data item to be printed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe the answer is currently "no" as far as project custom data is concerned. Task custom data can be printed if you customize it as a label for the Gantt chart or a column in the outline.

Use Help->Send Feedback to let the developers know this is something important to you...

That's correct, at present the Project level custom data is envisioned primarily as a place for script writers and the like to persist data, though your use case sounds quite compelling.

Custom data on tasks and resources can also be added to HTML reports by customizing the template. See the help entry "Customizing HTML templates". Would you find it useful to be able to do the same with project custom data, or do you have in mind to add the project version to the header or footer of each printed page?

-Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bunch View Post
Custom HTML templates almost but don't quite support custom data on the project. I think it ought to, so I'll probably add that shortly.

-Tom
A little over seven months ago...maybe it's time to ditch the more restrictive vision of how project data is to be used?

Well played, sir.

I've implemented the feature and it will show up in a future sneaky peek, followed at some point by a proper release of course. I don't yet know when we will turn sneaky peeks on again. We kind of need a period here to let the dust settle.

Now I know why Apple always says things like "we can't talk about future development effort, but if this feature is important to you, you should definitely send us feedback." ;-)

-Tom

One of my all-time favorite tweets:

A: Do you have a time estimation to develop it?
B: Mhhh, about 2.
A: Hours?
B: Don't know the unit yet.

:-)