The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync with Apple's built-in Reminder system Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be nice if OmniFocus supported sync with Apple's built-in Reminder system.

I have to emphasize 'sync' since in no ways is this system as powerful as is the OmniFocus task system. No contexts, no projects, no start dates, to take the basic. But it would make et possible to see OF tasks in one's calendar application of choice, and even to mark them as 'done'.

And it should be possible to define which task 'tables' each context or project should sync with. With Apples (limited) support of the Microsoft Exchange Server it would mean that one's OF tasks would even be visible in Outlook for Windows.

With iOS 6, an API will be available for the developers that work on the built-in Reminder database. And of course, OmniGroup should warn people only to sync from one OF installation - to avoid circular syncs. Personally, I would sync from my OF placed on my Lion Server (running 24/7) - and yes, access to the Reminder base has been present for some time om OSX, and is clearly present in Lion.

I should add that sync to the iCloud would not give the same. At least, there would be no sync to Exchange users.

But of course, were OmniGroup to include af full Exchange support option, people working in Exchange environments would be more likely to choose OF on the Mac and iOS units.

Actually, sync from Reminders (Mac and iPad/iPhone app) will sync directly with Exchange in a Tasks (not Reminders) link. Things 2 has implemented a usable sync to the Reminders data base (at least on the Mac - using a trial) with the choice to set up sync either to the Reminders list or the Tasks list. Bi-directional sync of Tasks works to Exchange and thus to all of my devices and to my Windows Outlook client. This is the workflow I have been looking for all these years. Leaving aside the Things 2 vs OF debate, Cultured Code has demonstrated that sync from a GTD/task manager app to Reminders can work. I agree with perronne that this would be nice; for me this is a critical feature.