The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RSS handling in versions 5.6/6 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What is the plan for RSS feed handling in future versions of OW? Is there a push to overhaul the current live bookmark approach (which does not work very well), or to hand over RSS duties entirely to external readers, live Camino does? It seems this has not been revisited for ages in OW.

In 5.5.4, you have the choice (in General Preferences) of handing things off to an external reader or of subscribing to them in OmniWeb. There are people who like both options, so I expect we'll be keeping both.

Can we please have a way to just show the feed-url for copy&paste or a "copy feed-url to clipboard" option?

I'll second the request -- I frequently add feeds to my google homepage *and* newsgator (instead of directly in NNW, especially since I'm using several beta copies).

It would be nice if the RSS support was fixed, however. There are nagging bugs. For instance, when you add a feed for most sites, the default title ends up being something like "RSS Feed" or "Atom" rather than the name of the site that the feed comes from. Also, it is almost impossible to mark feeds as read, unless they are sitting in your bookmark bar. Moving feeds to your collections sidebar in the bookmark manager ends up changing the feed label to "News Feed" -- not very helpful.

The RSS support just seems half-finished in OW, which prompted my question about whether feed handling would continue or not in future versions.

Any chance of this being fixed in 5.7? It would be great to organize feeds in the collections sidebar.