The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO for iPad and Dropbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam View Post
So are you saying something different is going on when OmniFocus syncs to Omni's server as opposed to when it syncs with something in the cloud? Or is it just quicker/easier to troubleshoot as they have the data right there?
Mostly the latter - it's a webDAV server we can access on the back end when customers give us permission to help them solve a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam View Post
I'd query how robust the solution is if it's just a mac mini sitting in their office.
The server you're actively interacting with is a Mac mini, but there's more involved than just that machine. The data is backed up, for example, in case something happens and we need to fall back. The same folks that are keeping our online store secure and protecting the data in our source control system are keeping an eye on the Sync Server.

None of the above rule out the possibility of something going wrong, of course, but hopefully it's at least a little more reassuring. :-)

(It's still been a remarkably easy/inexpensive thing to provide to customers; there was a lot of overlap with the work we were already doing to run a software company of this size and run our online store.)

Thanks for the all the info whpalmer4 and Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
Don't worry, MobileMe is going to "get a lot better" this year.
Unfortunately, we've been hearing this for years. :(

Point is that most apps support both MobileMe and DropBox. MM = $99 per year for 20GB. DB = $99 per year for 50GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrafix View Post
Point is that most apps support both MobileMe and DropBox. MM = $99 per year for 20GB. DB = $99 per year for 50GB.
Dropbox = Free option, MM = $99 per year.

I think that is what most people see :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCatMachine View Post
Dropbox = Free option, MM = $99 per year.
Which is why we have the Omni Sync Server. (Free and staying that way.) :D

From the OP: Thanks to all for an interesting discussion. I am of course disappointed that DB didn't make it into this version, and am struggling with a new workflow that will allow me to use my shiny new OO app on the iPad.

Can someone explain to me how to use the Sync Server on the desktop/laptop, or is there a doc on this somewhere? How do I get it to sync a folder or something so I can use this offline as well (run rsync between the mounted WebDAV and a DB folder?). Why does this have to be so complicated?

iDisk has never, ever worked properly when a local copy is used, and its pretty bad for WebDAV as well. I would just like to understand how the devs think we should be using this app with files that are on other computers, which I think most people are going to need access to and some reasonable strategy of dealing with. I understand when Apple does this (they have their own motives about removing file systems) but I don't really understand when other devs follow suit like this (other than this just not making the features list for v.1.0, but thats not what I am hearing.)

Last edited by wolfneuralnet; 2011-05-13 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Too Snarky