The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What Happened to Save As? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If time shows that the new method is actually a step backwards, Apple will address that.
Your faith in humanity far exceeds mine.

I absolutely hate the loss of save as, but there is something I hate more: A plain "close" command now saves any change, like it or not. How many million computer users -- perhaps billion -- have become used to a "close" presenting some kind of dialog asking if you want to save your changes? It's nearly a human archetype now. Command+w, even in Windows, has been this way since the days of DOS, and perhaps before.

The reason I hate it more is because at least there is some effort involved in doing a save as, and thus you can't accidentally mess up your work. With a typical close action being so ingrained in the soul for so many years, it's quite easy to accidentally bang Command+w and save changes you don't really want. (Okay, there is Time Machine but that's not the point.)

Last edited by tlmurray; 2012-08-07 at 11:38 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you do that now, having restored Save As... as proposed, if you've worked on the original long enough to trigger an auto-save before you did the Save As... you've now left some changes auto-saved in the original document.
Those who pay attention to how things work might turn off timed auto-save, and instead just do a Control-s from time to time.

Sounds like the best thing to do now, is 'save as' upon opening a file you intend to make revisions to. A new file per new set of revision. That works fine, since I need to output PDFs for each group of revisions and send to client.

IMHO Apple screwing fundamental things in the UI is nothing new. Every version of their OS has had some screwy changes, all the way back to System 6.

Unless OG required an updated OS why would anyone do so? OG runs fine on SnoLeo, and probably older ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewS View Post
Sounds like the best thing to do now, is 'save as' upon opening a file you intend to make revisions to. .
What I do on a box with Lion now is duplicate a file I intend to make changes to. Then save as... to add a different version #

Omni - *Please* add Save As back in.

Your users have spoken consistently. Doesn't matter what Apple says.

With respect, listen to us. Heh.

Last edited by Jaydekay; 2012-09-06 at 11:34 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydekay View Post
Omni - *Please* add Save As back in.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we never removed Save As! In the code we ship, it's still right there in the File menu where it's always been.

However, the system frameworks on Lion automatically remove Save As if they see it in an app which is compatible with the new Auto Save and Versions features, presumably because they thought providing "Save As" would be confusing when every edit so far has already also been saved under the original name.

In Mountain Lion, however, Apple has listened to all the feedback and brought back the "Save As" menu item: if you open the File menu and hold down Option, you'll see Duplicate turn back into Save As. (It does have a longer keyboard shortcut than it used to have, but you can switch it back to its original shortcut using System Preferences if that's what you prefer.)

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we never removed Save As! In the code we ship, it's still right there in the File menu where it's always been.

However, the system frameworks on Lion automatically remove Save As if they see it in an app which is compatible with the new AutoSave and Versions features, presumably because they thought providing "Save As" would be confusing when every edit so far has already also been saved under the original name.

In Mountain Lion, however, Apple has listened to all the feedback and brought back the "Save As" menu item: if you open the File menu and hold down Option, you'll see Duplicate turn back into Save As. (It does have a longer keyboard shortcut than it used to have, but you can switch it back to its original shortcut using System Preferences if that's what you prefer.)

Hope this helps!
I see, yes, that does help. Thanks. I'll be upgrading to ML soon.

Just because Apple says it doesn't make it always right. What was a simple one-step process to save a file with new name (or, more typically, slightly modified name such as adding a version number) has now become a two-step process. That's a step backward...