The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spoofing safari 2.0 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Will OW5.5 eventually be able to spoof Safari 2.0? Will it ever support Apple's xml "animated" front page and Apple's nifty widgets library menu?

Until OW officially spoofs Safari, what do I enter into the custom field to do so?

Thanks.

P

It's one of the Miscellany listed in the release notes:

We plan to update the 'Identify to web servers and scripts as' list

Edit: sorry, I don't know what custom string to enter in the meantime.

Last edited by JKT; 2006-03-26 at 04:45 AM..

Safari 2.0.3 identifies itself as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US) AppleWebKit/417.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.9.2

Am I just being a bit dense, or is the option to change your identity only available in the site specific preferences and not Preferences in general? I've flicked through them all and I can't see it...

Yep, browser spoofing is available only in the site specific preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808
Safari 2.0.3 identifies itself as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US) AppleWebKit/417.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/417.9.2
Holy crap! It worked. I copied and pasted the browser identity above, and specified it for the apple.com domain, and now the nifty widget navigation tool at http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/ works just like Safari 2.0!

Thanks!

And, yes, it would be good to have a global spoof setting because it may very well be more convenient to emulate Safari by default if only because OW will never ever register on the radar of most web developers.

Of course, I could be wrong.

P

I replied to your post in the other thread. I see other details here. Web devs should NOT be looking for Safari, but WebKit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I replied to your post in the other thread. I see other details here. Web devs should NOT be looking for Safari, but WebKit.
I just did some testing with Orbitz, and, of course, you are right. Thanks.

I just posted OmniWeb 5.5 Sneaky Peek 3 which includes more browsers in the default list of available options.

As Forrest mentioned, developers should not be looking for "Safari" in user agent strings, but instead "AppleWebKit" since any application can use the same underlying technology that Safari does.
<http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/faq.html#anchor2>

Of course most websites that are doing browser detection look for Safari, and that's why we include the word Safari in our user agent string. That doesn't help everywhere, including apple.com where even they do very browser-specific detection, unfortunately.