The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

*Please* fix the Paste In Place behaviour Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Because I use OG to create web page wireframes, canvases always have objects that appear in the same place on every canvas, e.g. the header or navigation menu.

When I copy an object on one canvas, and paste it on another canvas, I want it to appear on the exact same location on the page.

The frustrating thing is that this sometimes happens, and sometimes doesn't. I still can't figure out if there's a logic to it or if it's just buggy.

Here's what I need to do to paste an object in the same place:
1. Copy the object on canvas 1
2. Paste the object on canvas 2 (it appears in a different place)
3. Undo
4. Go back to canvas 1, and copy it again
5. Paste the object on canvas 2 (now it appears in the same place)

You can imagine how frustrating this is when I'm trying to paste an object in the same place over 50+ canvases.

Yes, I have previously reported this problem in my feature request compendia 1 2 3, but I'd like to bring it to your attention again as it's so frustrating.

I have been using the same work around as fjordaan, and while it works, those extra steps add up to a lot of time when working in OmniGraffle all day.

A separate Paste in Place behavior or just using Paste in Place as the default would be incredibly helpful.

This is the response I received from Omnigraffle Support on 13 September:

Quote:
If you copy Object A, then click on the 2nd canvas in the Canvases sidebar, then paste, the object will paste in the same location. If you've clicked elsewhere in the canvas itself before you paste, it will paste where you've clicked.

There's also a newly-discovered bug wherein if the canvas you're pasting to is not set to the same zoom factor, this doesn't work properly.

[Suggestion to use shared layers]
I didn't know about the "click where you want to paste" feature before, and it is occasionally to blame for unexpected Paste in Place behaviour.

More often, however, it's a bug. And it doesn't only happen on canvases of different zoom levels, as I can prove with a document I currently have open. At any rate, I don't know how "newly discovered" the bug they're referring to is, as I first reported it on 2008-05-30, again on 2009-04-03, and again on 2010-04-30. And again in this thread.