The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stencil Format? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am having a graphic artist create some stencils for me in Illustrator. What is the best format for him to deliver those for me to open and use as stencils in OmniGraffle?

Well, OmniGraffle can handle pretty much any QuickTime compatible graphic format as a shape, but the thing to remember is that each graphic is a shape.
(The designer will want to save each shape to a document, in other words, rather than one document with all the shapes.)

Just off the top of my head, I'd say to save each of the shapes as a PDF, so you can resize them/scale them nicely. Note, however, that PDF graphics can be quite large, so if you plan to use these stencils on an iPad, that may not be the best choice.

Does that help at all?

Last edited by Brian; 2010-10-22 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: I AM BAD AT TYPING AND PUNCTUATION. (Forgot a "?".)

I've never thought of PDF as a graphic format per se. I assume Illustrator has a save as PDF or export to PDF option. Anything else I would need to know in instructing them how to save the document?

Yeah. Write the stencil for OmniGraffle in OmniGraffle (write the stencil for AI in AI; for Pages in Pages).

If it is going to be a real stencil, with OG capabilty, as opposed to simply graphics, that you do not need to connect lines to, change, fill, etc. Otherwise, you will have to expend some labour after importing, to implement the OG capability onto the, well, simple images.