The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lazy reloading of workspaces Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think there should be an option for workspaces to be restored 'lazily', that is, when you reopen one, each page will not load until you first click on its tab. 'Twould be useful. (See also: My post in the bug reports forum regarding Huge Workspaces.)

This is quite an interesting idea, although it sounds like it may require some replumbing of the workspace system. If a cached image representing each tab was stored in the workspace itself, then the enormous (almost exponential, it feels) bogging down of the browser when loading up increasingly big workspaces could be avoided until the tab itself was clicked on. It would mean a minimal delay for the user when switching to a new tab for the first time, but for my usage model this is a minimal problem.

To take it one step further, the system could introduce priorities - background tabs are loaded at a lower CPU and network priority level than foreground ones, so that huge workspaces would eventually get loaded (but perhaps not rendered) without the user clicking on the tab, but this wouldn't get in the way of responsiveness of the foreground tab.

Of course, I'm no Webkit/Cocoa developer (.net for me, unfortunately), so I have no real idea how possible this is.

It would be nice to have an option to pick between the current behaviour and to have the pages cached and restored when you launch (then, if you wanted to get the same effect as now, you could simply choose to reload all tabs). However, I wonder if this is a limitation in WebKit and the way it caches things that prevents it from being implemented yet. Firefox and the Tab Mix Plus extension can be set up either way so it would be good to get the same choice in OmniWeb.

Yes, it would be good to reduce the 'penalty' of loading OW with a large active Workspace.

Aside from caching etc. I'd really like the option to select a Workspace when loading OW, other than remembering the Shift modifier, and creating a new, empty Workspace.

Optionally the Workspaces window would show on launch to select the Workspace to load, a la Opera (which also includes the option to open the 'last session'.)

Perhaps the simplest alternative might be to allow auto-saving of open pages (as a default now) but also the choice of whether or not to automatically re-load the Workspace on launch.

This would make it easier to deal with unexpected browser launches, which often happen with links from apps, e.g. Help files, wherein you only want that single link to open, safe in the knowledge you can re-open your Workspaces when appropriate.

As an aside, it might be interesting to be able to (auto-?)sort the Workspaces list based on most recent use of each Workspace, and perhaps the number of contained pages show in the title.