The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2 Macs + 1 iPhone = 1 sync or 2? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere. I am new to OF (and loving it) and didn't see an answer to this question.

I have installed OF on my macbook pro at home. I've also installed the OF client on my iPhone and have been able to sync between my home computer and my iPhone without difficulty so far. (I should mention that I'm using MobileMe to perform the sync).

Today I installed OF on my macbook pro at work (my understanding is that the license I purchased allows me to do this since I am the only user of both computers - if this is somehow incorrect please let me know). Right after installing I synced OF on my work computer with my data in the MobileMe cloud and - presto- all my projects and actions are now on my work computer.

MY QUESTION: Should I set up OF on my work computer to sync with my iPhone also? Or should the iPhone sync only be performed with one computer? My understanding is that if I don't set up the sync between the iPhone and the work computer, I will have go home before the sync between my phone and the cloud will be updated. Is that correct? Alternatively, my worry is that if I set up my iPhone to sync with both computers that it will somehow get confused and I will wind up with duplicates, lost actions, or worse. Or am I making this all more complicated than it actually is?

A FURTHER COMPLICATION: my iPhone generally gets no signal (phone or wifi) in my office. Does this mean that if I should create the sync between the iPhone and my work computer, that I'll need to take that laptop out of my office to someplace where I get a signal to establish the link between it and the iPhone? If so, is this something that I will need to do everytime I sync, or only once to first establish the connection between the phone and the computer? In other words, once having established the sync between the work computer and the iPhone, would I be able to make changes to the OF database while sitting in my office and know that - even if my phone doesn't connect while I'm in my office - once I brought my phone somewhere that I got a signal, that the OF client on the phone would be updated automatically? Or, conversely, does the sync between the phone and the computer only happen when it's activated, in which case would I find that the phone/computer sync would fail while I was in my office (due to the phone not getting a signal), and would not later be updated?

Sorry to write such a long explanation but I wanted to try to be as clear as possible. Many thanks for making such a great program!

Abe Z.