The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do local notifications work in OF 1.7? [Similar to Push alerts] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,
Ever since the new version of OmniFocus for iPhone (the purple one) came out I get a PUSH-like notification for each todo that is due. This means that each morning I have to hit the "OK" button about a dozen times to get them to all go away.

How do I stop these notifications? There is nothing in Settings->Notifications. No Settings->OmniFocus at all. No option appears right in the in-app settings either.

Any idea how to turn off these notifications?

Thanks,
~B

Merged threads, added "push" to the title since other folks might search on that as well.

I nearly sent an infuriated rant to the support ninjas this morning about these local notifications, desperately looking for a way to turn them off. Fortunately, I found this forum thread before sending the message. I'd prefer to spare the poor ninjas my fury, but this particular "feature" is simply awful.

Like a few others, I see this as a regression, and not just because the functionality is misguided. It triggers at the wrong time to have any potential utility for me, often telling me that completed tasks are overdue because it notifies before I can sync. It pushes notifications even though I have Notifications turned off, with no apparent way to stop the harassment - this is inexcusably bad software behavior. Worse yet, it could potentially interrupt much more important functionality, like a 911 call - dismissing 10 overdue items should never stand in the way of immediately using my mobile device! Seriously, how is this permissible?

"Features" like this should be opt-in with preference settings available from the start to allow users to control the behavior. I'm glad there's a work-around, but furious that I had to waste the time to find it. A Safari debug link is better than nothing, but not good enough for users who don't realize it might exist - I almost uninstalled the app out of sheer frustration.

Way to support productivity. I want my hour back.

AniKarenina, I can understand your frustration... But seriously, "it could potentially interrupt ... a 911 call"? So could so many other things on an iPhone...: an incoming call, a text message, and email... If you want a solid phone to make a 911 call without any distractions, you probably want to move away from the smartphones altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniKarenina View Post
I nearly sent an infuriated rant to the support ninjas this morning about these local notifications, desperately looking for a way to turn them off. Fortunately, I found this forum thread before sending the message. I'd prefer to spare the poor ninjas my fury, but this particular "feature" is simply awful.

Like a few others, I see this as a regression, and not just because the functionality is misguided. It triggers at the wrong time to have any potential utility for me, often telling me that completed tasks are overdue because it notifies before I can sync. It pushes notifications even though I have Notifications turned off, with no apparent way to stop the harassment - this is inexcusably bad software behavior. Worse yet, it could potentially interrupt much more important functionality, like a 911 call - dismissing 10 overdue items should never stand in the way of immediately using my mobile device! Seriously, how is this permissible?

"Features" like this should be opt-in with preference settings available from the start to allow users to control the behavior. I'm glad there's a work-around, but furious that I had to waste the time to find it. A Safari debug link is better than nothing, but not good enough for users who don't realize it might exist - I almost uninstalled the app out of sheer frustration.

Way to support productivity. I want my hour back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There's no visible UI for changing the settings, but you can tap the two links below in Safari on your device to enable or disable them.
Disable local notifications

Enable local notifications
(You'll need to restart OmniFocus for the settings to take affect [sic].)

Thank you! The notices were driving me crazy on my 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
There's no visible UI for changing the settings, but you can tap the two links below in Safari on your device to enable or disable them.
Disable local notifications

Enable local notifications
I've just incorporated/activated this preference setting in the negative, disabling the local notifications. Can you please confirm that the push notifications will still be working as previously? My intent is to rely, as previously, on the push notifications, and not see local alerts at all. The wording of the dialog box presented after I clicked on the 'disable' link now gives me a nagging doubt about push notifications... Call me paranoid!

a

Best way for you to confirm that you're getting the notifications you want would be to try it! Make sure the setting for Calendar Export is still enabled on the settings page, and create yourself a test due item due in an hour or so. Sync your iPhone and have a look at the last modification date on the OmniFocus Reminders.ics file on your sync server; it should be the date/time of the last sync if everything is working. And of course you should get the notification you set up...

Yep - thank you. I can confirm that I've tested, and the conventional push notifications are still coming through, while the local notifications are disabled. IE back to normal.

Thank you.

a

How do I turn off the notifications on my iPhone? I typically have 12-20 tasks on an average day and when I first launch OF on my iPhone for the day, I have to manually close each and every notification window up to 20 times.

Is there a way to turn this off?

thanks