The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OW 5.5 Bugs, Issues, Complaints, Disappointments. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OW 5.5 Bugs, Issues, Complaints, Disappointments.

After an evening of testing i have the following to comment on.

1 BUG- When i click a link in various forums the link opens in a New Window, NOT in a New Tab which i want and am expecting having set the following preference:

Open Links to Other sites in: A new tab.

In fact even setting 'The Current Window' does NOT work, it always opens in a New Window regardless of the setting :-(

2 BUG - Some pages are NOT loading my Custom Style Sheet, until i set the sheet to None hit Reload, select my Sheet again an hit reload, sometimes it takes several attempts.

3 Complaint- URL Auto Complete does not seem as intuitive and useful as Safari's. For example the most visited recently loaded page for me has been forums.macnn.com. Now when i type forum, a whole bunch of other urls are listed, my desired forums.macnn.com is down the list a long way. Even forums. still does not list my desired link until i enter forums.m, then it will be listed at the top but then i must use the Down arrow to actually select it. In contrast to Safari, which actually selects and highlights the most frequently loaded url in this case i only have to type "fo" and forums.macnn.com is at the top of the list, is entered an highlighted into the url field an i only need to hit enter, not scroll a list then enter. I think Safari's AutoComplete is significantly more intuitive, accurate and FAST. I hope Omni can re-program OW's URL AutoComplete to simulate Safari's behavior.

4 Key Commands- Im finding it VERY difficult to get used to OW's key commands for top and bottom of page. In Safari, Camino, iCab, IE its Command + Arrow Up/Down. In OW it selects a different Tab argh. While Tab selection in those browsers is Command + Shift + Arrow Left/Right. Which brings me to Tab's

5 Complaint- I just cannot get used to liking this Drawer design for Tabs. As much as id want to like the Tab/Drawer idea i can't, i hate it an find it very obstructing. I want a preference to choose the regular Safari (and rest of browser world) horizontal top of page Tab design.

6 Complaint- The Start Page design. Hrm I want a home page URL set as default, but when i create a new Tab i DON'T always want that page loaded, most cases i want a blank page to instantly type in a new URL since the cursor always starts in the URL field. If i want the new Tab to load my home page :
http://www.google.com.au/advanced_search?hl=en I will hit Command + Shift + H in Safari. As i see it OW present 2 problems with the 2 workaround's for this.

A- If i select Use Blank page and set my URL as a Favorite Bookmark with key command Command+1 and have newly created Bookmarks to populate the top of the list then i find I am always loosing my Home page URL key command to any newly created URL, that SUX!
B- If i set the Start Page URL and select that in OW, i create a new Tab it loads the Home page but the cursor is taken OUT of the URL field in Into the first field form in the Google page. So I have to refocus the cursor to the URL field. That SUX too !!
Again i'd like to have the Safari option, Set a URL as Home page but allow new Tab's to load Blank pages.

7 Complaint- When a user first installs OW and resizes the window why on earth will OW NOT just save that window size and location to be used on every launch like every other app on the planet? Instead if forces users to jump thru unintuitive hoops to for the window to retain its size an placement. This is NOT obvious how to set this up, and after much anxiety and reading we learn that we must make use of Workspaces and Snapshots. I don't understand the unneeded complexity.

8- Enhancement- Would be great to be able to Import ALL of Safari's AutoFill Data including 'Other Forms'

9- Enhancement- Javascript function 'don't let scripts hide toolbars'

10- FEATURE OMISSION AND REQUEST

OFFLINE MODE - OFFLINE MODE - OFFLINE MODE

So many years have past since IE introduced OFFLINE MODE yet no other Browser on the Mac actually has this vital element that actually works.

So many times do i find myself in a situation where i have brief net access in a remote location for a very limited time. I attempt to load all the pages so then i can go back to my room an spend hours viewing the information. Yet this is impossible on the Mac!!!

That concludes my post. Obviously the list of things i like in OW is much longer, and OW has made a huge leap, i actually find it useable and is now my second choice to Safari. With the option of Horizontal Tabs, redesigned URL AutoComplete and OFFLINE MODE I am sure i could set OW as default.

#1 - response in your cross-post
#2 - response in your cross-post
#3 - http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1540
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1275
#4 - Page Up and Page Down, as well as Home and End are pretty much universal commands for that.
#5 - response in your cross-post
#6 - *sigh* I guess I'm tired of searching for you... there are other threads on this as well.
#7 - Other threads on this as well, which explain why the OW method is more useful (at least to many.)
#9 - I like that idea. I usually hit the key commands to display them, but if I could just do that by default that would be nice.
#10 - response in your cross-post