The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Email detail to Action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
From Mail I can select an email, right click, and then 'OmniFocus: Send to Inbox' and I get a new action with the content of the email in the Notes together with a link to the email itself.

Is it possible to get the content of an email , and a link, into an existing Action within OmniFocus?

Peter R Hawkes

Not in a single step, but if you do the technique you described, you can then copy and paste from the note of the action you created to the place where you want it.

Another option is to drag the desired email from Mail's list view into the notes field of an existing OmniFocus action. This will give you a link to the original email (but no content).

-Dennis

I use two very convenient Mail add-ons called Mail Tags and Mail Act-on that I recommend. A little shortcut for copying the message URL is added, making it possible to paste a link into the note fields of multiple OF actions (or into other files). If you're interested, here's a link.

Thank you for the suggestions, it is the ability to place link and content into an existing Action that would be of greta benefit! Is there a 'wish list' for OmniFocus?

Arild

thanks for the suggestion. Just a quick question. Which do you use for the message URL? Mail-Act or Mail Tags? And how do you do it?

Thanks

As an aside, message URLs can be obtained with AppleScript as well:

Code:
tell application "Mail"
	set _sel to get selection
	set _links to {}
	repeat with _msg in _sel
		set _messageURL to "message://%3c" & _msg's message id & "%3e"
		set end of _links to _messageURL
	end repeat
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to return
	set the clipboard to (_links as string)
end tell
Alternatively, you can save the above AppleScript as a Service using Automator. Then you can assign a keyboard shortcut to it using System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Services.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Himself View Post
Arild

thanks for the suggestion. Just a quick question. Which do you use for the message URL? Mail-Act or Mail Tags? And how do you do it?

Thanks
The shortcut is Cmd+Alt+Ctrl+U, you'll also find it under "Edit" in Mail. I couldn't say, however, if the script shipped with Mail Act-on or MailTags, but I sincerely recommend the combo anyway, having used it for more than a year without issues.

I tried a search for this without success, but if you have any suggestions you could let me know (not found in any folders related to Mail, application support, bundles, etc.)

Last edited by Arild; 2010-07-09 at 12:34 AM..