The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFu - It is time to start doing! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Responding to the thought "I am an artist and linear thinking isn't the way I work" is a fallacy.

Merlin Mann on 43 folders has an excellent podcast with David Allen. One of the shows in particular discusses this fallacy.

Structure allows the mind to be free of all the nagging of little things that take away from creativity. The more you work in structure, the more creative a person can be.

You can find the podcast by going to iTunes, searching for David Allen, and subscribing.

Don't use "I am a non-linear thinker" or "I am an artist" as an excuse. That's all it is. It's resistance from what the mind needs.

oschultz, I can relate to much of your trying different approaches. I've been through several paper-based systems, and quite a few software apps, including a database I wrote that had what was very similar to Perspectives. I'm *so* glad that OF exists. If I can get input via an iPhone, without setting up web service on my machine, I'd bet set.

I've been working OF and getting better and better. I'm a slow GTD implementer, but my progress has finally started to gain momentum with regular OF use. I need to force myself away from planning mode at times and, as Merlin says (paraphrasing), just do it, darnit. For me, this means to switch to Context mode and start knocking Actions off, and also doing things as they appear in front of me. I picked up "The War of Art" as well -- one other you might enjoy is "The Creative Habit" by Twyla Tharp.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Habit...6528951&sr=8-1

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-12-01 at 08:28 AM..

For me, GTD is a stress-management tool. I have too many balls in the air to keep them in my head (and more often than not, more than I can successfully juggle), and when I let them drop, I feel like crap. This paradox creates stress. GTD's methodology is designed specifically to reduce this stress.

By having a comprehensive list of my obligations and an easy method to crank through them (next action, next action, next action, review...), I reduce this stress in two ways: I know what I have to do, so I can renegotiate/reprioritize my obligations when necessary and far enough in advance to not disrupt my work/life/family; and I can just DO without thinking about WHY. If I'm not feeling up to taking on my whole list of tasks, I just step into context mode and check off a handful of items, confident that they're moving my along some useful path, without having to THINK about that useful path at that time.

If you don't have a lot going on and can keep it in your head (or if you don't mind failing to meet expectations), then GTD is wholly unnecessary. Even if you do have a lot going on, it's entirely possible and entirely OK if GTD doesn't seem like a good technique to stay on top of things.